first shot at a rat questions...

badbub19

So, I'm about to dive into my first rat build. I'm using basswood, and have all my hardware on order. I don't want to paint it but more just wood stain it a medium brown. I'm not artistic enough to get into a bunch of detail like most of you, so this will probably turn out more like a M.S. baby possum than a rat. My questions are, can I use a basic wood stain then seal the bait with a sealer without killing my color? Or should the sealant go first? I'm thinking about going the super glue route to seal. Any better options? And would an epoxy be necessary if I'm not going to paint? Also, how the heck do you guys anchor the hitchhiker for the tail?

I have been experimenting recently and have made a few rats. I haven't posted any yet, I need to get on it I guess;) The best way to learn is trial and error. None of the builds I have done are perfect yet but I have caught fish on them.

I am no expert and I am sure other people may have better tips but from what I have experimented with, I get the best results by staining the bait first, then putting a clear coat over the top when done. I would stray away from super glue. I use a 30 min 2-part epoxy over the bait. As far as the back end to attach the tail, try a small spring.

Hope this helps:)

I'm just curious how people anchor the spring? Just drill a hole and epoxy it in? I was thinking about running a small stainless screw in the end and cutting the head off with my dremel. I worry that if the spring gets bent too many times, it will break off.

I'm just curious how people anchor the spring? Just drill a hole and epoxy it in? I was thinking about running a small stainless screw in the end and cutting the head off with my dremel. I worry that if the spring gets bent too many times, it will break off.

if you don't want to epoxy the spring in i don't see why you couldn't put a tiny screw eye in the same place and put the spring on that. granted, i have never made a bait but don't see why that wouldn't work.

if you don't want to epoxy the spring in i don't see why you couldn't put a tiny screw eye in the same place and put the spring on that. granted, i have never made a bait but don't see why that wouldn't work.

DUH! Moment over here.......

O.k., got the tail squared away. Last issue is the bill. I'm using lexan, and have a couple cut out how I "think" I want them, and I cut the slot for them a little oversized so I can find the right angle before I epoxy them in place. How do you guys find the right angle? I was thinking about just layering electrical tape on the back of the lexan so it would go in the slot tight for a couple of test swims to see which angle works best. Are there better methods to doing this? I don't want to ruin these things now...

• 2 weeks later...

I use an 80 degree bill slot on the couple wakebaits and rats I've made. I used a miter box to cut my 80 degree angle on 2 scraps of 3/4in ply the used those attached on either side of another piece of plywood to make a lip slot jig so I can consistently cut lip slots. Seal it bait well w epoxy and test with split shots clipped on a rubber band around the bait to make sure u getting weighting propped before it done w it. That saves me slot of time.

I use an 80 degree bill slot on the couple wakebaits and rats I've made. I used a miter box to cut my 80 degree angle on 2 scraps of 3/4in ply the used those attached on either side of another piece of plywood to make a lip slot jig so I can consistently cut lip slots. Seal it bait well w epoxy and test with split shots clipped on a rubber band around the bait to make sure u getting weighting propped before it done w it. That saves me slot of time.

That's exactly how I tested the weights. I actually used tungsten bullet weights for the finished product. I just free handed the slots for the bills and surprisingly they worked out. I did have to go with a much larger bill than I was anticipating to get a consistent swim though. I have no idea how to get pictures from my phone posted, but once I get some open water I'll try for a video and post that. Overall I'm pretty happy with them.

• 3 months later...

So, it's been a while, but they're done. Video doesn't really show the action, but they do work! A couple of rats on my rat on its first outing. Haven't got to throw it a bunch yet, but 'tis the season in east ohio now. (Pardon my idiot "backdeckers" mouth)

Edited by badbub19

• 2 weeks later...