calcutta or curado

Harleybug

So i have the curado 300 and lexa 300 that seem to work pretty well for throwing my deps 250. I see alot of the big swimbait guys are using round reels. My question is is the calcutta better for big baits, i see alot of questions about swimbait reals but none specific ones about round or low profile reels. I dont mind spending the money so i just want to know if round reals are that much stronger. Will it help with throwing big baits and catching big fish. Is the calcutta d as good as the te.

I'm with JTSwimbaitman on the statement about round reels feeling like the have more torque. I personally believe that this is true 90% of the time because round reels generally come in lower gear ratios resulting in more torque. Here's a quick example:

Shimano Calcutta 300D - 5.6:1 (Round reel)

Shimano Curado 300E - 6.2:1 (Low profile reel)

Neither one is necessarily better than the other one and some anglers will say that they both have their time and place. For me, I like my Calcutta for the simple fact that I generally fish baits that push a lot of water and have a lot of "hydrodynamic drag." I see some guys that like to fish big glides, like a Deps 250, on a slightly higher gear ratio because they feel that they can have a little more control over the bait. I also see guys fishing a Deps using round reels. I'm sure that a Deps pushes a lot of water and creates a lot of drag just because of the size of the bait. Heck, it is a 6.6oz bait. I have never fished a Deps nor have owned one so I cannot say from first hand experience. But if you're happy with the way that you're Curado 300E handles the Deps, I wouldn't waste time and money fixing something that isn't broke. I just know from the way that I fish, I enjoy fishing with my Calcutta. It works really well for the baits that I fish.

I'm with JTSwimbaitman on the statement about round reels feeling like the have more torque. I personally believe that this is true 90% of the time because round reels generally come in lower gear ratios resulting in more torque. Here's a quick example:

Shimano Calcutta 300D - 5.6:1 (Round reel)

Shimano Curado 300E - 6.2:1 (Low profile reel)

Neither one is necessarily better than the other one and some anglers will say that they both have their time and place. For me, I like my Calcutta for the simple fact that I generally fish baits that push a lot of water and have a lot of "hydrodynamic drag." I see some guys that like to fish big glides, like a Deps 250, on a slightly higher gear ratio because they feel that they can have a little more control over the bait. I also see guys fishing a Deps using round reels. I'm sure that a Deps pushes a lot of water and creates a lot of drag just because of the size of the bait. Heck, it is a 6.6oz bait. I have never fished a Deps nor have owned one so I cannot say from first hand experience. But if you're happy with the way that you're Curado 300E handles the Deps, I wouldn't waste time and money fixing something that isn't broke. I just know from the way that I fish, I enjoy fishing with my Calcutta. It works really well for the baits that I fish.

+1 I own 2 400b and one 400d they r great for most baits but the only thing that limits them is their low gear ratios I think the higher gear ratios of the low pros that r out make glide baits come alive make them more versatile and productive it's a lot harder to work specific baits with lower ratios