Anybody fish in maryland??

Crowshow6

Im in MD, south of Bmore about 30 minutes.  Usually fish the lakes in Columbia, MD.  Just got the bug over the winter.  Tried throwing a 8" hudd and a 9" slammer yesterday with no bites.  Not sure if im doing something wrong or just need to keep throwing.  Water was still muddy so cant really tell the action of the hudd when im retrieving.  I had those same crazy looks yesterday...some people though I actually caught a real trout and one guy asked "what do you think you are going to catch with that???" Lol...I told him a big bass hopefully.  Occasionally I get out to Frederick county to fish and will try again this spring.  Do you have good luck out in Western MD?

Jeepfisher- Yea I live near Columbia,MD-Centenial Lake has some big fish in it.Dont give up on the big baits,maybe start with a Hudd 68 or a 7 inch slammer and get some confidence. But the baits you have will draw less strikes but they will be big. A 5 pounder has no problem eating an 8 inch Hudd or the 9 inch slammer.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Hughie....been throwing a Gantarel in Elkhorn semi religiously the last couple of weeks and nothing. Going to try throwing a hudd trout this weekend when they stock again.

Typically the big fish in those lakes don't bite often. Really have to catch them slipping up. They see a lot of pressure daily. Probably the most fished lakes in the area.

Thanks...any local areas you can recommend for a 90% bank fisherman?  I do have a yak, but only take it out when its warm since I have to throw on top of my jeep when the top is off.

• 8 months later...

I'm new the the forum and live just outside of Frederick Md. I have decided to dedicate the next couple years to big baits on my quest for a real jump in my personal best of 5.5 . I fish little Seneca lake, upper Potomac and all the ponds around Frederick. I have taken my fist swimbait fish from the pond in the Whittier development in Frederick on a 6" TT. That was the end of my "light tackle fishing" I'm hooked. I own a nice fishing kayak for the lakes in the area as they are all manageable to fish well from a yak. I plan to fish pineyrun a ton next season as a good friend of mine purchased a house next to the lake. I'm always down to fish and it would be cool to fish with and meet people in the area with a similar passion for monster bass. PM me add me as a friend. I'm working my way through all the threads absorbing info.

Cool another MD big bait guy! I fished on and off with big baits this year. Most of my big bait success was with spro rat 50s and gantarel. Really need to focus on putting time in with my hudd, slammer, and my new wake Jr. Also have a swaver I need to get wet.

I'm in Columbia,MD. I've caught a couple nice fish out of Piney Run. I mostly fish the Potomac with my bass boat. If you guys ever wanna meet up let me know we can fish from my boat.

Sounds good to me, I have been dieing to fish the lower potomac! We can make it happen.

Cool another MD big bait guy! I fished on and off with big baits this year. Most of my big bait success was with spro rat 50s and gantarel. Really need to focus on putting time in with my hudd, slammer, and my new wake Jr. Also have a swaver I need to get wet.

Yeah I kinda got bit by the damn that's a sexy bait bug and bought a bunch of baits online. I'm going to concentrate on the huddleston 8" and 68 baits till iceout. Still trying to work out best baits for winter. But my intention is to learn how the baits work. I'm lucky to have a small pond down the street with clear water to learn.

I'm new the the forum and live just outside of Frederick Md. I have decided to dedicate the next couple years to big baits on my quest for a real jump in my personal best of 5.5 . I fish little Seneca lake, upper Potomac and all the ponds around Frederick. I have taken my fist swimbait fish from the pond in the Whittier development in Frederick on a 6" TT. That was the end of my "light tackle fishing" I'm hooked. I own a nice fishing kayak for the lakes in the area as they are all manageable to fish well from a yak. I plan to fish pineyrun a ton next season as a good friend of mine purchased a house next to the lake. I'm always down to fish and it would be cool to fish with and meet people in the area with a similar passion for monster bass. PM me add me as a friend. I'm working my way through all the threads absorbing info.

I'm also a kayak guy, from the DC area, would love to meet up with some other MD guys who fish out of plastic boats.

Yeah I kinda got bit by the damn that's a sexy bait bug and bought a bunch of baits online. I'm going to concentrate on the huddleston 8" and 68 baits till iceout. Still trying to work out best baits for winter. But my intention is to learn how the baits work. I'm lucky to have a small pond down the street with clear water to learn.

Yeah that's my goal with my 68 is to practice dragging it on the bottom until ice out also (which may be sooner than we think-maybe snow next weekend). And then some topwater thrown in for pickerel. Last December I was slaying on small topwater baits with little pickerel.  Hope I can upgrade to big rats and call the big girls out.

I'm also a kayak guy, from the DC area, would love to meet up with some other MD guys who fish out of plastic boats.

Kayaker here as well... have a big heavy thing now. Hoping to get either a light yak or a peddle driven one next spring.