Rat rod

Timp2

Looking for advice on a good rod for fishing rat wake baits and smaller slammer type baits I make myself. Preferably 7.5' or more, with a full cork handle. My baits aren't very big or heavy. The picture is of a woodrow rat and a smaller rat I made to give an idea of what size bait I'm talking about(that is the smallest I've made but the others aren't much heavier). Also what rod taper is best for these type of wake baits? Any advice is appreciated.

post-4704-14253014540919_thumb.jpg

I like a moderate taper on my rods. Something that loads up nice but isn't too soft that I can't walk/twitch the bait. So I typically go with a heavier rod with that moderate action. I like the irod large rod. It's a little shorter so it makes walking easier.

If you fish your topwater with braid, find something with a moderate to moderate fast action. I actually use a 7'6 umbrella rig rod for most my top water because the handle is shorter allowing you to walk some baits easier.

Alot of people love the Okuma guide select series for the price, but often durability and longevity of the rods are questionable.

There are so many good rods in the 2-4oz range that would handle that rat. Get the best rod you can afford. You don't want to cheat yourself and buy a budget rod unless that's all you can afford.