Rod for kayak fishing

sneakysnook

Just started fishing swimbaits and I'm looking for a shorter handle rod. I've been using a Megabass Black Jungle Power Versatile rod. I'm looking for something in the 1oz.-5oz range. If anyone fishes from a kayak please give me some pointers on what works for you.

As for the shorter handle, can't help you there.  I stand fishing on my kayak and throw the Phenix Ultra Swimbait classic 8' (overhand) you may look into throwing sidearm.  Hope you have great success :mrgreen:   FYI if you are not used to standing in your Yak, practice in a safe shallow area until you have the confidence and mechanics down. 

I can't speak for a kayak fishing but using a rod with a short handle for that range of baits may play hell on your wrist shoulders and elbows

One of the main things that makes a good swimbait rod is the handle length...just my .02

I fish out of a 'toon a fair bit of the time and I think I'm sitting about as far off the water as a typical fishing kayak.  I use full-sized swimbait rods (by full-size, I mean with the long handle) and it didn't take long to get used to it.  Now anything other than one of those rods feels strange.  Was there some particular problem you were running into with the longer handles?

I fish out of kayaks and like the Dobyns 806 & 807 rods (not the longer Mike Long handles) IMHO. I both stand and sit depending on wind, waves, etc. I know a couple of friends that tried the 867 and didn’t like the longer handle. I’m even thinking of a Dobyns 795 or 796 for the topwater items which is 1†shorter than the 806 & 807, but I’m happy with both those as others that I know fishing from kayaks. Hopes this helps you decide and if you know someone see if you can borrow a rod to try out!

Like what has already been said, you just have to get used to it. I've fished from both a pontoon and kayaks (both sit-in and s.o.t.) I have seen the subject of rod and rod handle length come up on other forums and a lot of people lean towards shorter handles and I personally don't understand why. I have found that while in a kayak a longer rod is overall more comfortable and easier to fight a fish when to have the length to swing the rod tip around the bow of the kayak. Plus when tossing big bait it's nice to tuck the handle under your arm while retrieving the bait. Time on the water dude, it fixes lots o' stuff.

I have to second what everyone else has said; after a few trips I got used to the longer handle and haven't had any issues. I've been using one of the Mattlures rods with the telescopic handle for a while and feel really awkward casting with the handle on the shorter setting.