Owners of the Shimano Cardiff need some imput .

SwimbaitinJ

I have small to medium hands. Is the cardiff palmable for smaller hands ? Its very important as my hand strength is not back fully not even halfway. This is where Im at ....I see the new SHIMANO CONQUEST 300 400 is a smaller profile now and about same weight . Its about a 300$ difference between the 2. Im going for comfort because thats whats most important to me right now so money difference doesnt bother me im lucky to be alive and walking as i missed being paralyzed by 3mm so just dont think im some rich kid trying to buy the hottest reel out lol. Now if I did purchase a CONQUEST best believed it would be used for saltwater too. ITS ALL ABOUT COMFORT as I dont need my hands slipping or bobblin if or when I get a big swimbait bite. This reel will be used for 5oz up . Will be paired with okuma guide select xh. Im just worried about the palm plate on cardiff being too big as thats why ive always used low pro reels for bass fishing just more palmable and comfy to me. Any input ...opinion...knowledge shared is much appreciated !and THANK YOU IN ADVANCE ! GLAD TO SEE FORUMS LIKE THIS WHERE EVERYBODY IS HELPFUL TO EACHOTHER! THANKS ONCE AGAIN! . sn: i do not want a lexa or curado so please keep that in mind .

well you took my recommendation away when you don't want a Lexa or curado. I am 6'2 have what I would consider avg size hands for my size and 400 size reels still seem really big and uncomfortable. 300 size seem to fit me just right in the comfort department. If you have small hands I would assume they are littler than mine. If that 8s the case then I would think a 300 size reel would feel pretty big for you. The best way though would to go and pick one up at a store and mess around with it a bit. Feel a 300 size Cardiff and see what you think. I have Daiwa and I love their reels so my advice would be to try palm8ng all of them in a store. Daiwa, shimano, okuna and Abu all have reels in the 300 size that would fit the bill but by your description of your hand size unfortunately it looks like a low profile reel might suit your needs best.

thanks for the imput goin to basspro today to palm a 300. But with anything could feel nice in store but when you go fishing with it turns out different sometimes. I got a Curado I .Right hand retrieve it felt great but theres this point on there design where it digs into your hand when casting . I mainly want to stick to round reel for strength as they been know for it over the years . But hey Im gonna palm a lexa 300 as well and maybe if its comfy go with it. do the lexas hold up well in time?

if comfort is a concern i would go low profile reel. 

abu nacl 50 or big shooter  cpmpact are sweet reels, Im fishing the nacl 60 on my xxh for baits pushing 12oz and its a great size, so im sure you could get away with the 50 size. 

the daiwa tatula hd 200 is a 200 size reel with a bigger spool, for added line capacity, and you can find em on ebay for about $150. but if youre pushing 5oz, im not sure how well the reel will handle that. 

if you want to stay round reel style then i would go cardiff 300, i fished mine last year on the same set up as you, the 300 is considerably smaller than the 400, and for the money its a sweet reel, i will add to make sure you check the set screws often as they lend to loosen up for whatever reason during fishing. 

if you have the $$$ than by all means get the conquest or even the calcutta D, which are both smaller size reels with deep spools. 

bet bet is to go to a shop and compare, but if thats not an option, you can always look at the specs sheets on the manufactures webiste and get an idea for the overall size. 

the xh is rated to 10oz, which is way over rated imho, i would say 6oz tops on the rod. 

I don't by any measure have large hands and I love my Cardiff 300.  I never tried holding it before I bought it (probably should have), but it fits my hands just fine.  I haven't had it bobble or slip or anythiing when bringing in fish.  I like having a larger reel paired with the my 7111h Guide Select.  With the Okuma Guide Select rods, the handle is so long and really fits under you armpit which is where a lot of the holding power comes from, so I don't find reel comfort as important.  I don't have any 300 size low profile reels though so I can't make a direct comparison. 

Ok went to basspro maybe i dont have a small hand lol...but I can tell you when bass fishing like jigs..texas rig etc I cant keep my finger under the line coming outta the line guide like some pros and some friends . Palmed the Cardiff and the Lexa. I honestly was shocked at the size off the 300 its not that big. I can handle the 300 ...no problem picked up the 400 and there was big difference in weight and size for me. The lexa was a nice reel felt solid . Dont think it plamed for me as well as well prob because certain nerves in muscle in my hand are only working because I like low profiles was just bigger than the norm low pro but my hand is a little off right now. So will probably go ahead and get the 300. Now do I need to upgrade anything in it? Drag? Whats the max drag stock? Also do you guys have any problems with getting fish in with stock handle? maybe Im just use to my revo beast handle now and spoiled with big grips. Now my next hard next decision will be OKUMA SELECT XH OR XXH? Really wanting to throw a 250 and I dont like throwin a rod that feels maxed out and feel that nervouseness not being able to load it up and get some distance without it feeling That it might snap. But I know certain lures dont act right when throwing with too heavy of a rod . Once again THANK YOU FOR ALL THE ADVICE AND INPUT I REALLY APPRECIATE IT !

Cardiff and Conquest are at opposite ends of the lineup in terms of price and build qualtiy.

Split the difference and go Calcutta D series, done.

Narrow frame Calcutta 300D or 400D is way more comfortable to palm over extended periods vs a wider framed Cardiff 300

Narrow spool in Calcutta D has less line-out friction than wide spool Cardiff, which benefits casting performance.

Calcutta D has the oversized gearing that the Conquest has; Cardiff does not. Oversize gearing = more cranking power.

Edited by zenbasser