Losing swimbaits

Sam_Glasgow_

So for swimbaits what preventative measures to you guys take to not loose them? i test my knot and feel for any abrasions and thats about all i know to do. What do you guys do? and admins if this is the wrong spot please delete or move to an appropriate spot. thanks!

Use a reel with a perfect break system (CC, TE, Ryoga/Pluton, Z)!! Thats the best advice I can give beside check your line, retie your proven knots (San Diego Jam knot, Palomar knot etc.) and check your rings for damage and carry a lure retriever with you any times!! Good Snaps (e.g. Decoy Egg Snaps) will also help ;)

I use a curado 301 and 25lb big game and have only cast off 1 lure in the last 4 years. And that one time was the cast right after missing a big fish that probably bit the line. I've had guides that cracked but you can usually hear or feel that something is wrong before it snaps. Tie a good Knot, use the right gear and it shouldn't be much of an issue.

keep a good plug knocker with you at all times ,check first 6 to10 feet of line for damage often specially if your throwing heavier baits . The most important part that know one seems to mention is you cant be afraid to lose baits if you are you 1- tend to over work baits 2- you change they way you cast without knowing which causes most the lost of baits I see on water . confidence is everyhing is bass fishing if you not confident you should go home to help prevent losses . With that being said the FACT is I dont care who it is we all lose baits thats just FACT you can do things to help but reality is we are all human and get lazy at times and snap there goes the bait. I fish more then 300 days a year there is no way Im not going to lose baits Im not perfect nobody is thats just reality . One thing with bass fishing is you deal with a lot of guys ( egos ) and most will clame BS I never lose baits , my answer to this is well then you dont throw them enough .

Im the guy you approach on the water and you say hows the bite? I shoot you a stright answer and will even show you where Why? simple bass fishing to me is more then just a fish its about enjoying the elements , I get just as much of a rush passing on info and seeing it work for you as if I stuck the fish myself. off topic a little ? yup but hey thats just me

1.Check knots

2.use good knot (what works for you)

3.check line often (to help lower the chances)

4.when in doubt retie

5. opinions are like Butt holes everyone has one

Edited by JeremyW

keep a good plug knocker with you at all times ,check first 6 to10 feet of line for damage often specially if your throwing heavier baits . The most important part that know one seems to mention is you cant be afraid to lose baits if you are you 1- tend to over work baits 2- you change they way you cast without knowing which causes most the lost of baits I see on water . confidence is everyhing is bass fishing if you not confident you should go home to help prevent losses . With that being said the FACT is I dont care who it is we all lose baits thats just FACT you can do things to help but reality is we are all human and get lazy at times and snap there goes the bait. I fish more then 300 days a year there is no way Im not going to lose baits Im not perfect nobody is thats just reality . One thing with bass fishing is you deal with a lot of guys ( egos ) and most will clame BS I never lose baits , my answer to this is well then you dont throw them enough .

Im the guy you approach on the water and you say hows the bite? I shoot you a stright answer and will even show you where Why? simple bass fishing to me is more then just a fish its about enjoying the elements , I get just as much of a rush passing on info and seeing it work for you as if I stuck the fish myself. off topic a little ? yup but hey thats just me

1.Check knots

2.use good knot (what works for you)

3.check line often (to help lower the chances)

4.when in doubt retie

5. opinions are like Butt holes everyone has one

+1 Jeremy, wholeheartedly agree! Best post of the day in my opinion!!

All good stuff, except that from what I understand, lure retrievers don't work when shore banging

very true , if im shore fishing I tend to use briad because it stays a float long enough to throw somthing else out to snag it (has worked many times) dont always work though. Shore fishing can be ruff ,but hey I still do it shore fishing has tought me how to fish and taught me to really appreciate my boat . There are many days I still go to my local lakes to walk the shore lines just to keep in touch with my roots (plus owning a boat can be a pain when you just want to get a line wet) Edited by JeremyW

let me add this too I have a great respect for shore fisherman due to them being limited on waters they could cover with no electronics still whacking big fish . brings a smile to my face everytime I see it ( keeps you humble )

Edited by JeremyW