Fishing Points?

lmv_bassfishing

doesn't matter how just find the angle or cast direction that the fish usually eats your bait.  Of course there is a reason a fish is in that point and how  fish likes to eat a certain way via structure wise or lane. So many variables goes into it but it wont work if your presentation is sloppy or the right cast. I have started to figure out on some spots i fish only 1 angle of a cast and depth catch good size fish. Also when you set up for a cast for the first time on a spot and it produces it is one of the biggest enjoyment in swimbait fishing that you actually made it happen. 

doesn't matter how just find the angle or cast direction that the fish usually eats your bait. Of course there is a reason a fish is in that point and how fish likes to eat a certain way via structure wise or lane. So many variables goes into it but it wont work if your presentation is sloppy or the right cast. I have started to figure out on some spots i fish only 1 angle of a cast and depth catch good size fish. Also when you set up for a cast for the first time on a spot and it produces it is one of the biggest enjoyment in swimbait fishing that you actually made it happen.

+1

With swimbaits, I prefer to fish uphill. I think a lot of fish follow it and strike when it gets shallower and they think they have it trapped.

X2, the "trapped" baitfish lure is also the reason alot of nice bass will hit so close to shore when your fishing from shore.

Most important thing about points is not uphill or downhill imo, but how big the point is and where it ends.  If the fish are way up on the point they are going to be super aggressive and that is another explanation why uphill "works."   Most peeps even boaters fail to map out the point and wrongly fish only where it meets the shoreline.  

I've had success fishing both ways but my true giants and on those days when you can't seem to buy a bite the best way I've found is to fish both uphill, downhill, then uphill again in one cast. I've caught my pb twice doing this. Its easier to set up a cast like that from shore. I like to come up to a point and sit on one side of it pretty close to shore or just shallower than the first drop off from shore and about 15-20 yards away from it(most of my lakes are smaller, not sure if this is possible on bigger lakes/points). I'll make a diagonal cast away from shore across the point into open water, pull my bait over the point towards shallow water, cresting the point and bringing the bait down the other side then back up the first drop off creating as many ambush points as I can in one cast. Sorry if that's confusing, kinda hard to put into words but I hope you get what I'm trying to say. I usually make this cast first before I have a chance to spook the fish. It covers both sides of the point, shows the fish both an uphill and downhill presentation, and if you get bit as you're cresting the point and miss the fish you still have one more spot(shoreline or first break) for that fish to pin the bait if they're following, this is exactly what happened when I caught my pb that's in my avatar. I caught my first swimbait fish of the year this week on the slammer doing exactly that technique in less than ideal conditions, terrible cold front that brought snow and rain, as the bait came up to the first drop off after cresting the point.

Sorry for the long winded post guys, maybe I'm a little too analytical sometimes lol

Edited by derds126

• 2 months later...

I like to focus on which way the current is going first before looking at the uphill or downhill factor. I see bass facing into the current a lot waiting for bait to float towards them where they can ambush it. I like to swim my bait around any possible ambush spots I see while doing this.