Custom rods outside LDC.

scoopdaloop

You can look up batson on YouTube and see how anything is done. They have videos for everything. It is supposed to be stupidly easy actually ti build. It's making it look good that is the hard part. A lot of guys make their own rods for wayless money and it can be better then a off the shelf since it's made with what you want. I have never done it personally but talked with some really good people all about it. They will buy a bunch of rainshadow blanks or whatever on sale and make amazing rods for hardly anything other then time invested.

I'm getting a custom rod made on the Phoenix PHD869XH. I've been working with Walker Nelson of Nelson Custom rods.  I found him through the Phoenix website where he is listed as a dealer.  Walker has been great to work with.  We discuss options several times per week. Walker makes a a good effort to thoroughly answer questions in a very detailed manner.  I've learned a ton from him about rod building and how rods perform when casting.  I actually stopped by his shop today to get a custom fit for the reel I'm using (Calcutta 400d), and the primary bait I plan to throw (Deps 250).  We hung the bait on the blank to feel the flex, and played with the positioning of the reel and handle length to best fit me.   I could throw the Deps with less rod, but I know it will do well, and I'll be able to go as heavy as a Mother if I ever decide to cough up the coin. One downside to using this blank:  it's too thick to fit an Alps reel seat.  We are going to trick out a Fuji instead.

For me, I wanted an experienced builder, and someone easy to work with that is available to answer all my crazy questions.  Walker has exceeded all of my expectations. He builds a great rod, and is an even better individual. He 's certainly worth considering.  Feel free to PM me if you would like his contact info.  .

I'm getting a custom rod made on the Phoenix PHD869XH. I've been working with Walker Nelson of Nelson Custom rods.  I found him through the Phoenix website where he is listed as a dealer.  Walker has been great to work with.  We discuss options several times per week. Walker makes a a good effort to thoroughly answer questions in a very detailed manner.  I've learned a ton from him about rod building and how rods perform when casting.  I actually stopped by his shop today to get a custom fit for the reel I'm using (Calcutta 400d), and the primary bait I plan to throw (Deps 250).  We hung the bait on the blank to feel the flex, and played with the positioning of the reel and handle length to best fit me.   I could throw the Deps with less rod, but I know it will do well, and I'll be able to go as heavy as a Mother if I ever decide to cough up the coin. One downside to using this blank:  it's too thick to fit an Alps reel seat.  We are going to trick out a Fuji instead.

For me, I wanted an experienced builder, and someone easy to work with that is available to answer all my crazy questions.  Walker has exceeded all of my expectations. He builds a great rod, and is an even better individual. He 's certainly worth considering.  Feel free to PM me if you would like his contact info.  .

There's other ways to build an xxh on a phenix phd blank hahah... You just have to cut the blanks different and then you can build the rod with the alps tiger real seat

You can certainly use Alps on several PHD blanks, just not the 869XH.  The diameter of that blank is .905.  It is their thickest blank in the PHD lineup.  If you fit an Alps on that blank, it would be way too far up that rod, you'd have to cut off a large section that would void the warranty.

You can certainly use Alps on several PHD blanks, just not the 869XH.  The diameter of that blank is .905.  It is their thickest blank in the PHD lineup.  If you fit an Alps on that blank, it would be way too far up that rod, you'd have to cut off a large section that would void the warranty.

Yup finishing one up right now

I'm getting a custom rod made on the Phoenix PHD869XH. I've been working with Walker Nelson of Nelson Custom rods. I found him through the Phoenix website where he is listed as a dealer. Walker has been great to work with. We discuss options several times per week. Walker makes a a good effort to thoroughly answer questions in a very detailed manner. I've learned a ton from him about rod building and how rods perform when casting. I actually stopped by his shop today to get a custom fit for the reel I'm using (Calcutta 400d), and the primary bait I plan to throw (Deps 250). We hung the bait on the blank to feel the flex, and played with the positioning of the reel and handle length to best fit me. I could throw the Deps with less rod, but I know it will do well, and I'll be able to go as heavy as a Mother if I ever decide to cough up the coin. One downside to using this blank: it's too thick to fit an Alps reel seat. We are going to trick out a Fuji instead.

For me, I wanted an experienced builder, and someone easy to work with that is available to answer all my crazy questions. Walker has exceeded all of my expectations. He builds a great rod, and is an even better individual. He 's certainly worth considering. Feel free to PM me if you would like his contact info. .

I second Nelson Custom Rods, he built me a couple nice rods and will be building me another in the near future. Pleasure to work with, and puts out some quality work. Edited by ETBA

• 1 month later...

This is one of the best looking customs rods I have seen posted. Very nice. 

I just had Mr. Swimbo build me a Moam custom.  The whole build process was awesome.  Good price, good communication, and he was well ahead of his 12 week completion estimate.  It's in the mail now and I can't wait to use it before my season here in the northeast is over. 

• 1 month later...

Just Picked up my Nelson Custom swim bait rod yesterday.  Built on the Phoenix Black Diamond Hydrid 838 for 250s.

It's a work of art.  Nelson is crazy detail oriented, and was stressed over ever detail of this rod making sure I loved the final product.  We talked several times per week throughout the process. I had a great experience.  If you are looking for a Custom build, he makes a great rod, and is an even better guy to work with.

Message me for pictures if interested (I can't post images on here).