Butch Brown and 20lb Fluorocarbon

DaveM

I just read an article on Wired2Fish that featured Butch Brown and in that article dated Feb 2015, it said he uses Seagaur AbrasX 20lb FC for his set up in fishing the Deps 250. But I read on here with all the set ups and everyone recommends 20-25lb CXX or Big Game. 

My question is why are people not using more FC if the master uses it and it works better than mono?  What am I missing?

With 20 lb flouro you're a lot more likely to cast off a bait. I would assume that's why most people aren't using it. That's why I use 25 lb big game. Maybe now that 250's are a little easier to get more people will start going that route.

I just bought my first 250 and I will be using 25lb. big game with a safety harness tethered to some rope tied off to one of the cleats on the boat. I am currently working on how to attach a gps tracker and some sort of balloon that pops out remotely to raise it to the surface if all the above safety precautions fail. 

I never use anything larger than 20# flouro for anything I have talked to butch about this and he even told me he has used 15-17# I can't remember which....if you retie often and take care of your equipment (checking your guides and replacing line when needed) it shouldn't be a problem I never understood why people won't spend $ on line I mean think about this for a second ,your fishing with combos that cost more than a grand and baits upwards of $200 but you won't spend $100-200 on a bulk spool of quality flouro? That just doesn't make sense to me

I have been using flouro for everything except topwater and have yet to cast off a swimbait don't be lazy retie like twice and hour and cut off a few feet of line and you won't have any problems the benefits of using flouro are worth the cost imo

There are certain knots that provide more shock-absorbing cushion than other knots. That is much more important than with fluoro than with nylon mono. And it is also more important as you go up in weight of your bait. For me the regular Palomar knot is fine for mono but a uniknot or San Diego jam knot is what I much prefer for fluorocarbon. And even stronger, with more shock-absorbing cushion, is a San Diego jam knot tied with a doubled line (and only 3 or 4 wraps). It makes kind of an ugly knot with 3 ends you need to clip but it is really great with fluoro. And with big baits the size of your knot is not going to matter to the fish.

Again, this is what works for me; if you are happy with your current fluoro knot stick with it. I used to have an Instron tensile testing machine at my disposal and I probably tested 50 knots over the years.

I use FC Seaguar 20 # Invizx. I agree its price can be a factor. Also it depends also on how you cast as well as your equipment. If you have a smooth start to finish casting style, even on a back lash it won't bust off (always check knot and line) if have a quick transition (whip like motion) it may break on a back lash.

I never use anything larger than 20# flouro for anything I have talked to butch about this and he even told me he has used 15-17# I can't remember which....if you retie often and take care of your equipment (checking your guides and replacing line when needed) it shouldn't be a problem I never understood why people won't spend $ on line I mean think about this for a second ,your fishing with combos that cost more than a grand and baits upwards of $200 but you won't spend $100-200 on a bulk spool of quality flouro? That just doesn't make sense to me

I have been using flouro for everything except topwater and have yet to cast off a swimbait don't be lazy retie like twice and hour and cut off a few feet of line and you won't have any problems the benefits of using flouro are worth the cost imo

+1, and this goes for conventional fishing (ducks for cover) as well...retying is key, it only takes a second after every fish I catch and release to check the knot and like 3-4 feet of line from the knot up. and kink or fray or anything at all, cut that ish off and retie. Just ask yourself which will feel worse spending 2 mins getting your line/knot in order or your line snapping when trying to boat flip an 8.