Pawnshop Gold Mine

Ajricemi

First of all, this is my first post so what's up everybody?

Anyway, I'm super new to swimbait fishing and recently hit what I believe to have been a GOLD MINE at a local pawnshop! I know they aren't all swimbaits but thought they were still worth posting. I ended up getting them for $200 + tax. What do you guys think?

Also, is that lure in the second pic a Mattlures Hardgill? I'm still not that great at I.D.ing baits.

post-24016-0-98630800-1433194321_thumb.jpg

post-24016-0-37167300-1433194323_thumb.jpg

I actually talked to the owner of the pawn shop and it was a guy going through a divorce, so he had to part ways with all of his gear. I almost felt bad buying it....almost haha. 

MY BAITS!! PM SENT!!! Jk

First of all to the OP ... Huge score. Crazy. Pawn shop owner didn't know what he had. That's what pawn shopping is all about. Don't do it much myself but my late stepdad was a master.

Just being real about the shop owners story though, I'd maybe believe it if he said the ex wife brought them in. But anyone who owns those baits knows exactly where and how to sell them for real money. You don't take $100 for $1000 worth of lures just to save a little time. I don't care how bad the divorce is.

I guess I should have explained a little better.

The baits were actually priced around 400 and I was able to negotiate (no pun intended) down to 200. The shop had about 5 boxes full of almost all megabass lures and then my box that had the swimbaits in it. They also had multiple megabass reels (a ryoga, zonda etc.) and at least two orichi rods.

Everything was priced about the way you'd expect it to be(no higher or lower, because megabass is so good about labeling everything they make. The owner said he established the prices of the boxes by looking up the price of one of the lures he could find and then multiplying that number by the number of lures in the box. Luckily with my box the swimbaits seemed to have slipped through the cracks since to the untrained eye I guess they just look like bigger baits.

I wanted to explain that better because I seriously couldn't live with myself if I knew I had someone's stolen tackle. Even though I know the possibility still exists it seems less likely then if it was just a bunch of stuff for dirt cheap. Hope all of that made sense.

Cheers!

MY BAITS!! PM SENT!!! Jk

First of all to the OP ... Huge score. Crazy. Pawn shop owner didn't know what he had. That's what pawn shopping is all about. Don't do it much myself but my late stepdad was a master.

Just being real about the shop owners story though, I'd maybe believe it if he said the ex wife brought them in. But anyone who owns those baits knows exactly where and how to sell them for real money. You don't take $100 for $1000 worth of lures just to save a little time. I don't care how bad the divorce is.

it happens all the time. I go to pawn shops a lot, rarely sell to them because they will give you pennies on the dollar. I can't tell you how many times people sell there tools for dirt cheap, I saw a guy unload two sthil saws, they were 800$ saws and he sold each one for 100. I once tried selling a Bang and Olufson answering machine and they offered me 25$, it was new in the box(wedding gift), they were selling for 450$ new. Pawn shops take advantage people's desperation all day and every day.  Also, they guy could have lied to the owners, maybe he is just a junky looking for a fix....