Newbie all the way from South Africa!

michaelcronje

Hi Fellas!

I’m in my early 30’s and live in the east of South Africa. Yes… we do have bass here in our part of the world, and some pretty decent bass at that! Over here swimbait fishing isn’t very popular. People look at you curiously when you even mention the idea. Plus, swimbaits are hard to come by, except the more mainstream brands like SPRO BBZs. But trust me, we get more than our fair share of fish in the 5 to 9 pound range coming out, so I’m convinced swimbait fishing can be the next big thing out here.

I’m keen to find out if there are any other South African SU members on here, and I’m eager to pick up as much knowhow from all you experienced anglers as possible. See you around.

Cheers,

Mike

Cool, how big do bass get in your neck of the woods?

Average size in my part of the country is probably around 1lb 4oz on conventional techniques, but at certain venues we often get fish of between 5 to 9lbs. Which is part of my decision to pursue swimbait fishing in the first place. Pretty sure that I'll be able to get fish of up to 14lbs here if I get the right advice from you guys, and persevere in what seems like a very high risk/high reward technique. 

Welcome! I owe a lot of big fish to the info on this site. What kind of baitfish do you guys get all the way over there?

Thanks for the welcome. The most common forage for bass around here are Minnows and various bream species like Redbreast Kurper, Vlei Kurper and Dwarf Kurper. Needless to say, the bigger bass also eat juvenile bass. Unfortunately there aren’t any trout in our waters for them to fatten up on. The bream are all generally saucer-shaped with sharp and spiny dorsal and pectoral fins. More difficult to eat, and not as fattening I guess. I’m pretty sure the bass here will still eat trout shaped swimbaits though? Any thoughts?

Thanks for the welcome. The most common forage for bass around here are Minnows and various bream species like Redbreast Kurper, Vlei Kurper and Dwarf Kurper. Needless to say, the bigger bass also eat juvenile bass. Unfortunately there aren’t any trout in our waters for them to fatten up on. The bream are all generally saucer-shaped with sharp and spiny dorsal and pectoral fins. More difficult to eat, and not as fattening I guess. I’m pretty sure the bass here will still eat trout shaped swimbaits though? Any thoughts?

I fish  in Charleston, SC with trout shaped/colored swimbaits and I don't know a single lake or pond with any type of trout that isn't at least a 3/4 hour drive away, especially stocked trout (Theyre all native). All of the lakes and ponds have shad and bluegill. I almost strictly throw a Deps Slide Swimmer in Butch Brown Stocker trout and Wakasagi and whack them. In my opinion its all about the action of the bait, not the color to at least a reasonable extent (Im not saying if you an unorthodox color you will catch more fish). If you put a live trout in any body of water with bass that has never had trout in it before, I would think a bass would eat it. Long story short, Yes a trout shaped/colored bait should work as long as you present it in the proper situation, location, and time. Goodluck