Newbie checking in from Lake Arrowhead CA! hoping for some advice.

Makeig

Hey everyone! glad to be a part of the swim bait community.  I have been lurking on the forum since the first time I tossed a swim bait about a year ago now.  It has become a frustrating,exciting, obsession of mine now and I am desperate for some relief! 

A little background to the lake I fish 90% of the time.  First of all I have never seen or heard of any body to every throw even 6" baits on our lake. ( I am sure someone has, but that goes to show they just aren't popular on this lake.) which makes no sense to me considering we are at an elevation of 5-6k feet and the rainbow trout (and bluegill)  do very well in our lake yet it still gets warm enough to sustain a healthy bass habitat.  Every foot of shoreline is covered in boat docks, which is kind of a bummer, but most of the time when I go out I am either dock hopping or pitching a small weedless shad in between the docks from shore.  thinking about getting a float tube in the near future if I can start catching on theses swim baits! The lake gets very grassy and weedy in the warmer months around all the docks which seems like it would be an awesome spot for all of the chunks to hang out but I have yet to debunk this theory.

I have caught 1 yes 1 swim bait dish on a savage gear 6" line thru trout, I saw its shadow down under a dock threw 5 feet past it and slow rolled along the bottom and she nailed it a solid four pounder.  that was months ago now, I am getting increasingly frustrated and discouraged I have just about every beginner bait ( savage gear, hudd 68 special, hudd weedless trout 6", matt lures bluegill, jackall gantarel)  the slow rolling across the bottom isn't cutting it any more simply because of the thick vegetation. I've also tried throwing a weedless shad along the edge of some of the vegetation and produced a few small followers.  Today my game plan is to throw the Jackall Gantarell its pretty much a top water bait when worked very slow and I am hoping that will produce.

Sorry for all of my blabbing but I am at a loss of what to do and I would really love to make swim baits work here on my home town lake! 

Forgott to mention, I recently discovered an archive of records in this lake with more than 10 10+pound bass recorded.  That is the source of my recent inspiration.

As crazy as it sounds I would say go bigger! Bigger baits have better drawing power IMO.... Try an 8 HUD rof slow rolling right above the weed! Maybe a 9 inch slammer!? Use sunset sunrise or at night! 8-10 inch triple trout! Also don't get stuck on that slow roll on the bottom... Mix up your retrieve to see what he fish want! During the warmer months try a faster more erratic approach. Let he fish tell you how they want it. Good luck and tight lines!

As crazy as it sounds I would say go bigger! Bigger baits have better drawing power IMO.... Try an 8 HUD rof slow rolling right above the weed! Maybe a 9 inch slammer!? Use sunset sunrise or at night! 8-10 inch triple trout! Also don't get stuck on that slow roll on the bottom... Mix up your retrieve to see what he fish want! During the warmer months try a faster more erratic approach. Let he fish tell you how they want it. Good luck and tight lines!

Being new to swimbait fishing too, I'm struggling to understand the concept of "Let the fish tell you how they want it." I've been fishing our local tournament trail successfully for a while, and I've been bass fishing recreationally for over 20 years, and I fully understand the concept when fishing for 10 or 30 bites in a day. But from what I've read regarding swimbait fishing, you're maybe expecting 1 or 2 bites the whole day. So how do the fish tell you what they want? How do you put a "pattern" together? How do you decide which bait to throw when?

Arrowhead has plenty of big large mouth that are willing to eat the swimbait, and plenty of smallmouth that love reaction baits, I've never got anything giant from there but plenty of 5-6 lb largemouth that will eat the 8" hudd and plenty of smallmouth that will destroy a smaller bait like a triple trout or the roman made trick

Being new to swimbait fishing too, I'm struggling to understand the concept of "Let the fish tell you how they want it." I've been fishing our local tournament trail successfully for a while, and I've been bass fishing recreationally for over 20 years, and I fully understand the concept when fishing for 10 or 30 bites in a day. But from what I've read regarding swimbait fishing, you're maybe expecting 1 or 2 bites the whole day. So how do the fish tell you what they want? How do you put a "pattern" together? How do you decide which bait to throw when?

It means try different things slow rolling fast retrieve dead stick whatever your throwing it all day try different retrieves

there are big fish in that lake my bros grew up on that lake we did our best back in the late 90's (long time ago) next to the Village and the swim beach or if your on foot walk the trail behide bluejay movie Theater when it opens up (next to the bridge every jumps off we have layed into them) last time i went up to his house 2013ish it still held Quality fish

Haven't had much of a chance to Check in here with y'all. Since I last posted I've been out twice. (Not enough unfortunately) I spent about 5 hrs throwing the savage gear line thru and ganterell. We are going to go out tomorrow and I have a new mouse /rat wake air I'm going to throw. Fingers crossed that I can end this skunk! Than you everyone for your great advice. It is dulet noted and I'll put it to work best I can!

• 2 weeks later...

Well some family health issues have put a stop to my practice/attempting to throw big baits and hopefully catch fish... Hahah but I'm ready to hit it again. I'm going out on diamond valley and renting a bass boat with a buddy. Going to try my best to break this skunk. Thanks everyone for the advice. I feel more confident in what I'm trying to do here.

• 2 months later...

try the River2sea S-Waver 168s.  I've had pretty good luck with that. I've fished it super slow allowing it to sink and twitching it to medium retrieve with short pauses and pops like a rip bait.  It sounds like you've been fishing swimbaits longer then I have so be it as it may I'm still new but it never hurts to get different opinions....hope I could help!

another bait you can try is the hudd deluxe weedless shad...I did pretty good with them. large and small fish. I fish mine on a medium spinning rod with 15# fireline, from what ive read its pretty much the opposite set up that everyone uses but ive had very good success with it plus Im about fishing on a semi budget