Sink rate question

Christiantaj

Just had a question I wonder about but have never done yet. I'm curious on how exactly a layer of clear coat affects sink rate of a bait on average? I've been tempted to do this on some of my wooden baits in order to increase paint life, but whats held me back is sink rate differences and the inability to reverse what I've done. Any insight would be nice. Thanks in advanced!

I've put several coats of clear coat on my negotiator, and haven't really noticed much of a difference. However, it technically should slow it down because it seals the bait, stopping it from taking on any water. Just a thought, but you most likely won't be able to tell a difference.

If anything, it's going to make it sink faster by adding weight. A wooden bait should never take on water. If it does, it's basically toast... The clear coat is not meant to seal the bait, only protect it and add gloss. The wood is sealed before it is even painted.

Edited by badbub19