Blueback herring swimbaits

ncstatefisher

Hey guys with the fall striper bite coming to my area in the next month was looking for input on some options on blueback swimbaits, the bull herring isn't bad and the 3:16 freestyle looks good but I didn't know what other options are out there. About the only website i know to look for swimbaits for sale is tackle warehouse at this point lol.

Thanks

how large of a bait do you want?  i really like the gan craft 178 in blueback herring, but it's not very big.  For a smaller bait something like a lethal weapon precision paddletail is ok.  if you wanna go bigger i'm not sure about a good blueback bait.  as other's mentioned, maybe a deps or a gan craft 230 in SE ayu.

I fish perhaps the blue backiest of blue back lakes:  Lake Murray.  My go to baits:

Cl8 Clacker 5" Ayu -- Best numbers bait from March until December (striper or largies).  No matter what size bait the bass are keyed in on.  Big ones eat it too, but doesn't weed out the rats.  A must have bait for me, tied on all year except Dec-Feb when I only throw bigger baits.  I take off the hook on the tail (don't need it on this small size of bait), and replace the other two hooks with the Mustad KVD short shank x-heavy hooks (in those size of hook, I've had the owners that come on the clacker straightened out). 

HPH original 6" (not the glide, don't have one of them) -- Not made anymore, but might be able to get one on the black market.  Good year round.  Catches all sizes, but when fish are focused on small bait doesn't get the numbers of "limit filler" large mouth.  However, it catches the biggest fish better than others year round.  Nov. - March really shines with a SLOW retrieve.  Stripers seem to love this one more than all the others.  Have one tied on year round.

Triple trout -- 5" stubby, 6", 7" -- Seem best when they are on big bait.  Most consistent in winter and spring for me, but produces year round.  Great night bite bait also.   

When the striper bite is red hot and they'll hit anything (or if I take somebody I don't trust with my expensive baits), I've thrown magic swimmers and they seem to work pretty well also.