Big snook, big jacks, and big tarpon

flaswimbaiter

While fishing a dock light in the early morning hours, I caught a snook around 36-37 inches on a punker. Luckily she didn't fight that hard cause she was close to a dock.

post-17771-0-02779500-1446947949_thumb.jpeg

Right after releasing her the water suddenly erupted around me, I was surrounded by the largest school of big lady fish I had ever seen, It was the size of a football field, they were blowing up and flying out of the water all around me. I grabbed my spro shad I modified with a back hook and stared catching them left and right then all of a sudden it appeared that something tried to eat one on my line and a second later and huge tarpon rolled right in front on my boat......that sure woke me up.. I thought it was just a fluke, so I continued to fish, not five minutes later a tarpon did eat one on my line right next to the boat. I stood there completely dumbfounded staring at my reel not realizing it was dumping my spool, by the time I came to my senses the line went slack, it must have cut me off on a dock or its gill plate.

So what would a swimbaiter do in this situation? Of course start tossing a Deps 250 mullet around the schools of busting fish. It didn't take long before a big tarpon followed it and swiped at it right by the boat, but it was a swing and a miss. I tried a little longer then went back to the lady fish.

To my surprise the ladies hung around and never left so I just kept catching them, when I got tired I would toss the big bait, which resulted in a hit by a big snook, but again no hook up. Shortly after a school of big jacks follow in my 250, I tossed My H2O at them, but because there was damage on my line from the lady fish a big one are it and snapped my line and then they disappeared. As I came back through that area, I spotted them again, but this time I was ready with my Yohan Custom shiner and got a real nice one.

post-17771-0-33244900-1446948017_thumb.jpeg

On a different trip I spotted a big school of huge jacks while fishing docks, when I caught up with then instead of running they hung around my boat for a while. The first one I hooked up on was big enough to straiten out my hooks on the Yohan Custom, the second one just came off, but the third one, which I think was one of the smaller ones, stayed attached.

post-17771-0-06206000-1446948042_thumb.jpeg

Thanks Guys!!!

Simply awesome! I can only imagine what it's like to have a tarpon eat right by the boat. Wow! Head back out and do some more fishing Dave - I love reading about your saltwater exploits! Can you post a pic of the modified Spro shad?

Sorry Dr., but that was the bait attached to the lady that got eaten. LOL. I will probably buy some more now that the 4.5" H2O is no longer being made.