Lews BB-2

egoodnow

So I'm just about to get into swimbaits and plan on getting the leviathan edition of the Megabass Levante but am still looking around at reels.  Through my college bass team I have a sponsorship discount with Lews and would love to get a lews for financial reasons.  I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the BB-2 (or any other lews reels) for big baits such as the 8 inch S Waver or should I be looking more at the lexas or round reels.

I had the bb2 and it was a great reel but then I upgraded to the bb2 inshore and never looked back. Imo it's a superior reel and I especially love the oversized power handles on the inshore. Only downside is it only comes in 7.1:1 gear ratio. I throw baits up to the deps 250s on it.

• 4 months later...

I had my BB-1 pro paired with a dobyns 795 SBMT for the majority of last season and I absolutely loved it. I used to have a lexa 300 paired with the 795, and I now much prefer the BB-1 pro for that rod. Haven't had an opportunity to try the BB-2 and am not too familiar with its specs, but I wouldn't hesitate to give it a shot based on my experience with the BB-1 Pro. I will say this though, if you're choosing the BB-2 over the BB-1 pro because of line capacity concerns, I really haven't run into any issues with that. It's rated to hold 160 yards of 12 lb line, and I've found that it holds more than enough 17 lb Abrazx, and I even have one that's loaded with plenty of 20 lb tatsu. The reel is extremely light (6.5 oz) and that 95 mm carbon fiber handle is also really sweet. Also for what it's worth, I was very impressed with the drag on the reel too. I've used it a few times targeting stripers in tidal rivers with some pretty heavy current, and it performed flawlessly during some big, angry runs. Very smooth.

Overall, I've been very pleased with how that setup has handled baits in the 1-4 oz range. You mentioned the s-waver in your OP, and it would definitely handle that bait just fine. I haven't thrown anything north of 4 ounces on it, so I can't say for sure how well it does with heavier baits in that 5+ range. Having said that, I'd bet on it handling baits in that range just fine. 

I  throw a lot of my bigger soft baits on the superduty. Most of the one I throw are 3.5 ounces or less and that reel handles them just fine. As also stated you can sling a bait a country mile on them and for me they hold enough line that I'm not worried about running out or not having enough if I break off a few times.

Great reel. Collin and I use it in 7:1 for the 250. It casts great and has good line capacity. We have it spooled with 25# Invisx. It doesn't feel as powerful as some of our other round reels but I think that's more of a function of the speed of the reel than the actual size. I just caught that 9-11 using the BB-2. No problems whatsoever.