Review request: Megabass Magdraft

waynem

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Magnet isn't quite strong enough to hold the hook in place.  Bout every 4th cast it gets moved around.  Swims deeper than a line through osprey, but has a very good swim to it.   Too fast and it starts to roll.  Looks great, but much more sensitive to speed than other line throughs.

• 1 month later...

I fished the 8" magdraft today. To me it seems like it likes a slow steady retrieve or else it wants to roll.

The magnet doesn't hold the hook really well but it does grab the hook as you retrieve your bait

back and water flow pushes the hook into the belly of the bait. This was not a problem.

That being said I caught 2 small fish on it and had a couple of mystery bites. Surprised how well that 

2 lbers would eat that bait.  I was using it with 25lb fluro on an XH rod.The white back shad color

looks good in 3' visibility water I was fishing. I will continue to fish it. Hope this helps. 

• 2 weeks later...

Decent bait with a needlessly complicated harness. I might still be using it if it was a line-through but Megabass has to make everything gimmicky. I like the RS better but it doesn't come in a ten inch, so that's the only size magdraft I kept.

• 3 weeks later...

Probably not the feedback you are after on the larger Magdrafts but I used the 5 and 6" up here in Canada last year. Found it ran really straight with very little body roll. Good tail wiggle action at almost all speed retrieves. 2 different treble hook holding positions - one  for open water and one for a more weedless presentation. I'm definitely getting another few for this season. Caught some good smallies on it last year. 

I saw Oliver Ngy was catching some really big bass on them. So I ordered some 8 and 10"... and also the new Mag Slowl, which is said to have a different swimming action - without too much head movement . I think I saw it on a JDM fishingtackle online shop: "Unlike the MAGDRAFT, MAGSLOWL’s head section is crafted to remain still, concentrating action in the thin, shapely tail section". 

It will take some time to arrive to my neck of woods but once I have them I will use them and post reviews on them.

Has anybody tried the Magslow?

Any difference in action??

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=121937965625&alt=web

I just got a few Magslowl's but bass season doesn't open in Canada until June so I can't give a full review. On a quick test cast - it's a thinner body design that moves less water. Less head movement - stays dead level. Softer plastic than the Magdraft with more tail movement - a better wobble in my opinion. Dressed treble hook is nice. Seems to sink significantly slower than the Magdraft but that could be the really cold water - not certain did not do a side-by-side sink rate comparison 

Edited by rugbyfisherman