firearms

Bassman88

Also, if your using it primarily for Home Protection, I would consider a revolver.  Not the sexy pick, I know.  I've heard keeping a clip full without discharging it can weaknen the spring causing it to jam.  Sounded logical to me.  I have a revolver at the ready for home protection and my semi-automatics with clips empty for the range.   

Also, if your using it primarily for Home Protection, I would consider a revolver.  Not the sexy pick, I know.  I've heard keeping a clip full without discharging it can weaknen the spring causing it to jam.  Sounded logical to me.  I have a revolver at the ready for home protection and my semi-automatics with clips empty for the range.   

Revolver is another option. As far a your MAGAZINE spring weakening that would take a long time to do. He plans to do recreational shooting as well so he should be fine. When you have a weak spring jams happen because you the next round cant keep up with the cycle speed of the slide.

So I went to turners to pick up a Springfield XD. But while completing paperwork I came across the Sig sp2022. Long story short cancelled paperwork and back to square 1.

Sig are great guns too. beautiful thing about this gun is it has both DA and SA (double and single action) which means you can have one round in the chamber with hammer down and you have a heavier and long trigger pull, to me this is a good thing because you have to be absolutely sure you want to shoot. when I competed I used a CZ SP-01 Shadow that was the same way. I had to start in DA. If you are worried it would affect you squeezing the trigger it wont, with that much adrenalin going you wont notice. but without practice your shot pull right or left depending on what handed you are. I think you cant go wrong with either of these two guns.  

home protection aka close quarters. I like my shotgun hahaha but handguns are the topic. the idea of a revolver is great but for the general guy that probably goes to the range once a month, well aimed shots are not going to be a strong point. (not for all ) having the extra ammo in a mag would probably be a safer bet.

I have a variety of handguns and rifles and a conceal carry permit. If you are looking to carry a 9mm I would recommend the shield, the XDS and Glock 43 are also similar in size and recoil. I like the Glock 42 in .380 for carry. For home defense there is a large variety of full sized dependable 9mm .40 and .45 to chose from out there. If you can find a range that rents that's the best way to find what you like by actually firing it. Some look great and have great reviews online, but when you shoot them, they may not be for you.

The springs become weekend through compression and decompression. Staying in a compressed state has little to no effect on the spring's strength over time.

If it is for home, and CC is not an option- I would recommend going with the 17. Might as well have the longer site radius. Plus after market options on the Glocks are widely available. First thing to do is swap out the crappy plastic sites.

As mentioned above, Sigs are great, but generally much more pricey.  I would go with a SAO, but that is a person preference. The double action is a neat feature, but no practical benefit. The idea "it gives you time to be sure you want to shoot" is crap IMO. You should not have your firearm out, let alone pointed at someone/ something unless you are 101% sure you intend to use it effectively.

9mm all the way.

^^^ 9mm sig can easily be had in his budget...just an example

Good option if it fits. Would not be my choice though. Bought one in '12 when they had quite the hype. Reliability was an issue, could not figure out the issue, nor could the local smith.  Traded it out.

I am sure Sig has sorted out any potential issues in the newer released 320s though. 

Edit: To clarify, bought the Sig250. not the 320.

Edited by C_R_TX

If it is for home, and CC is not an option- I would recommend going with the 17. Might as well have the longer site radius. Plus after market options on the Glocks are widely available. First thing to do is swap out the crappy plastic sites.

As mentioned above, Sigs are great, but generally much more pricey.  I would go with a SAO, but that is a person preference. The double action is a neat feature, but no practical benefit. The idea "it gives you time to be sure you want to shoot" is crap IMO.

I don't think longer site radius makes a difference in a home protection situation. you only lose about 1/2" if you went to a G19. Home protection situation would probably mean 5 yrds or less. at that point people would probably be using "instinctive shooting" (point and shoot) instead of getting a full sight picture.

as far as SA over DA (No to include strike fire guns...ie Glocks, XD...) I think DA is a great feature when you have a gun with a hammer. most SA hammer pistols have sweet triggers that break pretty lights. I don't want to pick up my loaded gun (I don't have kids) in the middle of the night, half a sleep with the hammer cocked back, hints that DA feature. for me I don't want to worry about racking a round in the chamber. every mil/sec matters. But I also wouldn't use a hammer style gun as my home protection (just personal preference), I use a strike fire gun, G19.

All in all its really up to the user. Whatever you decide you have to practice. know that gun inside and out. if you have a failure how are you doing to deal with it.

again just my personal preference and opinion, not trying to bag on the way others do it.