Lake berryessa tournament

Gavin721

Hey guys, ive got a tournament coming up in early january at lake berryessa in northern california. For some reason i have been doing really bad there and i was wondering if anyone has any tips (baits, good spots, etc.) Thanks guys.

Hey guys, ive got a tournament coming up in early january at lake berryessa in northern california. For some reason i have been doing really bad there and i was wondering if anyone has any tips (baits, good spots, etc.) Thanks guys.

What tourney...if it's not a swimbait tourney man I would advise against only throwing them...one or two 8# bites aren't gonna win...that being said slow hudds are best shot...some rago trouts...

What tourney...if it's not a swimbait tourney man I would advise against only throwing them...one or two 8# bites aren't gonna win...that being said slow hudds are best shot...some rago trouts...

Its just your everyday tournament, i was thinking about chucking some hudds for a kicker or two but i wasnt sure. Any tips on what else i should be using and some spots that are producing some good fish? Thanks man

Edited by Gavin721

Its just your everyday tournament, i was thinking about chucking some hudds for a kicker or two but i wasnt sure. Any tips on what else i should be using and some spots that are producing some good fish? Thanks man

And the tournament trail is called berryessa bass tournaments

Edited by Gavin721

I've fish there the last three winters and to be honest, since it is not a swimbait tournament, I wouldn't throw it. Swimbait fishing is fun, but this is a matter going home with a check or empty handed. Unless you have your bag, and a nice one at that, then go for the kicker. And which end of the lake do you plan on fishing? The south end towards the dam seem to have more spotted and the north end has more large. And this might be taboo on this site, but dropshotting ledges will put fish in the boat quick. 6" Roboworm Hot Tip in salt and pepper.

from my experience the narrows towards markedly cove has been the ticket. Look for bluff walls on the main creek side, football jigs and large shakey head worms....last winter Ive witness three LMB chase trout up onto the flats and clobber it right on shore. tight lines, GL on the tourney.

Thanks guys, the tournament is out of markley cove. We have a houseboat in markley too. We haven't even figured out where we are going to fish but we only have a tracker pro 16 with a 40 merc on it, top speed on it is low thirties so it would take a while to get to the north end of the lake but if thats where the fish are biting we will make the journey. Before i started throwing swimbaits i threw a dropshot 70% of the time but i never really got any size. Also our tracker has a Lawrance thats probably 15 years old so its not too reliable.

Lol i guarantee if you base your tournament around locations and baits to throw on a forum where 75%+ of the members have never even seen Berryessa before, you will blank.

With that said, why would you spend an hour+ of your fishing time to go fish water that is new to you on the basis that "fish are biting there"? Fish are biting everywhere...

On the idle out of the marina look at your graph and mark where the bait is at depth wise and fish accordingly