Help with specific lake types

Craig

Hi guys, I fish 2 very different type of lakes and was hoping for some advice on how to fish them.

Shallow Lake: this lake is a normal looking lake of about 24hecters – 2 Miles of shoreline. Deepest part is only about 8’. Shoreline is predominantly reeds (in about 4’) with the occasional small dock. Floor is mud, no rocks, no timber or other submerged structure. Occasional weed bed. There are three shallow (3' deep) bays but they are dominated by carp and large Blue Kurper/tilapia or dry in summer. It has 1 inlet which is a honey hole of note. Unfortunately it has lots of carp that muddy the waters. Baitfish consist mainly of various Tilapia

I fish this relatively often (biggest fish there around 5lb) and have had success pitching a Gantarel against ‘solid’ reed walls (the sparse reeds don't seem to produce) and under docks. No success in open water.

Deep River: this one is about a dammed up river about 3 miles long (the lake section is out of bounds) about 200’ across in most places. Very rock and lots of pine tree laydowns. Steep sides dropping to at least 60’ in places. Clearish water, no real current and not much vegetation. Lots of bluegill and a few 2-4lb escapee rainbow trout (no small trout though as they cant spawn).

Fish close to 10lb have come out in the past but fishing pressure has increased over the last few years and they have got wiser.

I unfortunately don't fish here often and have NO luck on swimbaits  despite my high hopes. But to be honest I don’t fish deep (yet).

My swimbait arsenal consists mainly of floating or slow sinking glidebaits but I am expanding. Swimbaits have to be made or imported so I'm terrified of loosing them.

Any advice would be appreciated (besides grow some balls and fish deep lol).

The first lake sounds like a great place for rats, slammers, and a G2 shellcracker. Shallow and good reeds on the shoreline. Try to find areas that are clearer and toss some wake baits along the reeds. Dont be afraid to use a slammer over 10-15' of water if its fairly clear. They will come up for it. Fish that inlet in the spring and fall, when it had good flow. Any bait should work around the right inlet.

On the river, I would try tossing a weedless 6" or 8" hudd into those laydown trees on the bank and just hop it up and down like a jig. You said this place is pressured, so these areas may not produce as well because they will get fished harder. Another thing I would try is a slammer tossed right to the bank and worked out over that steep drop-off. Especially where this river is clearer. If you think theyre super deep, drag a hudd or realprey alewive down the slope.

Always keep in mind the basics: fish are shallower in spring, use reaction baits on windy days like a TT, BBZ, and fast moving glides. And if all else fails, fish a rat and slammer at night. Good luck!

Hi Craig, you never mentioned if you tried "Night Fishing" in either of these areas. Jesse mentioned this also, sometimes night can give you one more trick to tip the scales in your favor. Fishing timber & weeds are a bit tricky at night, but, if you can rig up some weedless trebles on those Rats or Slammers, you could cast right into that stuff with confidence. Getting very familiar with the shoreline structure during daylight will help when the lights are out. Also, I have found on "Heavily Pressured" bass waters, the majority of the fishermen pound the shorelines only. Many a fine bass have come out of the deeper, or, off the beaten path areas that are out in the middle of nowhere. Keep casting my friend, and, the double digit will be yours in due time.

Awesome advice, thanks guys.

Hopefully the weedless Hud is in the post flying over to Africa. It'll get wet the second it clears customs.

Working on a Slammer type bait at the moment. First color will be black and I'll try out some night fishing. I've had a few casts into the dark before but never done a proper session. I've noticed plenty of SU trophy bass pics taken at night and will defiantly give it a go soon. Especially as its so hot here at the moment.