Gan Craft 178: Floating or Slow sink?

Lovemore

Hey fellas,  

Great website and really enjoy info.  I have been throwing 3:16 Rising Sons for a few years (8in, lighter version) with some good success. Recently decided to give the glide baits a try.  

I bought a GC 178 floating version on TW. My plan is throw it over submerged grass, shallow pre-spawn flats, bedding areas and parallel brushy banks.   i was hoping it will swim in the 6" to 2' range depending on speed, water temp and line size.  i was gonna throw it on my curado 300e on 20# fluoro.

did i buy the right one?   its unopened so i can still return if necessary.

thanks for your input,

ryan

I love the 178 but don't have a floating one. I sold my Zepro before I used it but the videos look good.  From my understanding the Zepro is designed to run in the 0-2foot range. I haven't actually seen the floating one  in action so not sure if you get any dive or sink at all on that one.

I've actually experimented with both the 178 SS and 178 F for the applications you mentioned. I'm a big fan of the jointed claws in that size, I think they're very underrated baits.

With the right line/hooks, both can be useful for targeting that 6" to 2' range, but I tend to lean more towards the 178 SS. When fishing that shallow zone with the 178 SS, I've thrown it on 20 lb Seaguar Senshi and 19 lb Sunline Defier Armilo. Throwing the bait on mono + keeping your rod tip high usually makes it very easy to keep your bait in that range on a steady-leaning-towards-quick retrieve. The 178 F with 20 lb Tatsu doesn't quite get the bait where I usually want it--especially when I've been too lazy to beef up the hooks--but it can get the job done as well. The bait usually just sticks a little too high in the water column for me. Trust me, I really wanted to like the 178 F/Tatsu combination, because I'm a big fan of that line, but the 178 SS/mono combo seems to work a bit better for how I work the bait MOST of the time. 

My recommendation? Keep the 178 F, and try to find a 178 SS off eBay or on the black market. They're both awesome baits that definitely have their time and place. With a little digging around, I've found 178s for around 35 bucks, which is a steal for such a great bait.  

Thank you for the responses.   There is a video on you tube by gan craft that shows the 178F diving below the surface upon retrieve, then eases back up on the pause.  I like the idea of heavier hooks (i thought of that myself but wasn't sure if that was a good idea).  I will take it to the lake and give it a try.

i was hoping it will swim in the 6" to 2' range depending on speed, water temp and line size.  

I recently got a 178F. I use it over weed flats and it's definitely an effective bait. It will run 2-3' deep on a retrieve. You can beef up the hardware (hooks and rings) to get it a bit deeper or you can use lead tape. If you watch the Japanese fishing vids on YouTube, you will notice many of the glides they throw have lead tape on the belly. Use the stuff sold in the golf section of sporting goods stores if you decide to try this.

post-18711-0-57860700-1452656478_thumb.jpg

I have a few SS and you can work it in that 6"-2' range. Easier to maintain that 1-2' range though if your going to work it slow. I like the idea of a floater with lead tape or suspend dots for the shallower water. Think I'll do this to 1 of mine this year.  Good info guys. 

• 2 weeks later...