Looking for Glide Baits tips and techniques

G_Heikes

Over the past few years i've dumped $700 on glide baits alone, i've got numerous custom painted s wavers, savage gear shine gliders, megabass i-slides, ganatarels, gan crafts...Ive caught decent numbers of bass on them but nothing big and never got on a good day of glide fish and i want it to pay off.

Just looking for any help anyone can give about good techniques, glide bait reviews and tips on certain baits, how to get more followers to commit, and catching smallmouth on glides. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

There are multiple ways to improve glide bait success rates, I love fishing glides in slightly windy conditions on main lake points. I have caught some pretty big largemouth and smallmouth on my local lakes in spring/fall.

In the spring, since the water is still cold, use a slow steady retrieve all the way back to the boat, with maybe the odd reel pop mixed into the retrieve. Once bluegills start showing up shallow, than pull out a bluegill imitation and you'll hammer them, especially during the panfish spawn.

In summer I use glides on main lake humps and deeper points, anywhere from 5-15 ft plus and you let em sink down about mid way through the water column and just experiment with retrieval techniques, e.g popping the reel handle 1/2, 1/4 turns to make it dart, that works great for smallmouth. The largemouth in my lakes like a slow retrieve with a couple reel pops mixed in.

In fall look for main lake points and grass, if your lake is stalked with trout than fish them right by where they stalk the trout. Even if there hasn't been a recent trout plant, there will still be fish oriented around that general area.

In the early morning or evening at anytime of the year as soon as the sun starts to dip below the hill, keep your glide within a foot or two of the surface and it'll get hammered (especially in the summer)

There are multiple ways to improve glide bait success rates, I love fishing glides in slightly windy conditions on main lake points. I have caught some pretty big largemouth and smallmouth on my local lakes in spring/fall.

In the spring, since the water is still cold, use a slow steady retrieve all the way back to the boat, with maybe the odd reel pop mixed into the retrieve. Once bluegills start showing up shallow, than pull out a bluegill imitation and you'll hammer them, especially during the panfish spawn.

In summer I use glides on main lake humps and deeper points, anywhere from 5-15 ft plus and you let em sink down about mid way through the water column and just experiment with retrieval techniques, e.g popping the reel handle 1/2, 1/4 turns to make it dart, that works great for smallmouth. The largemouth in my lakes like a slow retrieve with a couple reel pops mixed in.

In fall look for main lake points and grass, if your lake is stalked with trout than fish them right by where they stalk the trout. Even if there hasn't been a recent trout plant, there will still be fish oriented around that general area.

In the early morning or evening at anytime of the year as soon as the sun starts to dip below the hill, keep your glide within a foot or two of the surface and it'll get hammered (especially in the summer)

That's some good info, definitely gonna put it to work. What's your advice on what glides to use for smallmouth.

I am committing to em this year...been slow to the game because i have a collection of musky glides that are pure gliders. I was disappointed with bass gliders' action at first thinking they were copying musky baits poorly. But Bass gliders are more like jerkbaits, slow is best way to go....tactical bassin guys have some great vids, steve heitings musky book has great discussion on musky glides......another thing many baits have been way overhyped and overpromoted, and you gotta fish with peeps in the know about tuning and best baits and rigs to use.

Edited by bigpoppabass

What line are you using? Way to many dudes out there throwing #25+, if so lighten up your line and you should be a big difference. In terms of smallmouth glides many recommend the GC Jointed Claws as they can be fished quite a bit deeper then other glides out there, I know I have one on the way from Japan that I'll specifically be targeting smallmouth in deeper water with.

Edited by Dirtnasty

What line are you using? Way to many dudes out there throwing #25+, if so lighten up your line and you should be a big difference. In terms of smallmouth glides many recommend the GC Jointed Claws as they can be fished quite a bit deeper then other glides out there, I know I have one on the way from Japan that I'll specifically be targeting smallmouth in deeper water with.

for my bigger glides i throw 65 lb braid to a 17 lb flouro leader since we have so many trees and stumps to snag on, smaller glides i throw it on my jerkbait rod with 50 lb power pro

Just remember that whenever the bait glides to the side it has to pull the line along with it- sort of like a dog pulling a leash behind it. The heavier the line is, the more drag you get keeping the bait from swinging as wide. The smaller the bait the more important it is to keep the line size down. Of course you need to balance that with the amount of weeds, stumps, etc in the waters you fish.

A technique that I use on a long cast is when I'm retrieving a glide bait and before the bait will be within my sight is that I pump the rod upward not sideways, the bait will flash uphill and the bass that tracking your bait will have an opportunity to eat your bait. I have put a few good fish this way.

I would never use braid on a glide bait, because if you get a backlash there is no stretch in the line and it is easier to snap. An A-rig is easier to snap off mid cast with 65 pound braid than 20 pound mono. Also braid with trebles is not a good idea because you can easily overpower your hookset.

I had been throwing my smaller glides like 168s on my crankbait rod and 14lb mono and I liked it a lot but for my bigger, more expensive glides I think for now I'm gonna stick to braid with a big mono leader