Feb 28th Clear Lake

Magic Man CP

Nice! Clear Lake has been on fire the last few weeks.

You're absolutely right about that! I've been guiding there since 97', it's truly a unique lake, the only natural lake in CA, the only body of water to have Hitch, explain that one to me, lol? Has algaes only found there, and earthly gases bubbling up everywhere that will poison you with prolonged exposure,, but yet the fish absolutely thrive there, and CL has some of the largest concentrations of shad, silversides, and crappie. Also has some of the largest unexplainable fish die offs...

But it definitely has its challenges also, the bite has always seemed to swing in cycles,, largely depending on the baitfish. Back in 05'-07', the shad would school up in few hundred yard long pods, was insane! You could literally throw a shiny cat turd in and catch fish! 100-150 fish days were extremely common, and fish into the 8# range no problem at all. But that winter the shad died off by the millions, and so did the bite. You'd think the bass would be easier to catch without all that bait to compete with, but actually has the opposite effect. Since then the silversides have thrived, but unlike the shad, when the silvers would school up by the millions and the bass would feed, they are very difficult to catch, no matter what you use to imitate them, better off using something completely off pattern like a craw crank.

This year is going to be one to remember, get a plane ticket, hitch hike, bicycle, whatever you have to do to find your way out here, lol! CL has extremely limited shoreline access, making it tough for out of towners. But there are many guides on the lake, and it helps guys from out of state, unfortunately with my boat out of service indeterminate, I may not be one of them this season. But you can guarantee I'll still be fishing there, even if confined to electric motor only!

Thanks guys, it's been fun sharing with you!

I have two kayaks already, guess three more might be enough to carry 1/2 my crap... haha! If it was a tad warmer, I could use my two kids and four dogs to pull me like a sled dog team, but rt now the trolling motor still seems a lil faster, lol!

We put in at Lakeport, might try the ramp at Rodman next time. Hopefully my rig won't be down too long though, just ordered a new Merc pro xs with a torquemaster lower,, gonna have new 12' talons bolted on also. Then I'll have some making up to do

Awesome fish and report. Thanks for sharing Magic.

Clear Lake is on the list for the Westcoast and Southern States trip my wife and I are planning in a few years.

You're absolutely right about that! I've been guiding there since 97', it's truly a unique lake, the only natural lake in CA, the only body of water to have Hitch, explain that one to me, lol? Has algaes only found there, and earthly gases bubbling up everywhere that will poison you with prolonged exposure,, but yet the fish absolutely thrive there, and CL has some of the largest concentrations of shad, silversides, and crappie. Also has some of the largest unexplainable fish die offs...

But it definitely has its challenges also, the bite has always seemed to swing in cycles,, largely depending on the baitfish. Back in 05'-07', the shad would school up in few hundred yard long pods, was insane! You could literally throw a shiny cat turd in and catch fish! 100-150 fish days were extremely common, and fish into the 8# range no problem at all. But that winter the shad died off by the millions, and so did the bite. You'd think the bass would be easier to catch without all that bait to compete with, but actually has the opposite effect. Since then the silversides have thrived, but unlike the shad, when the silvers would school up by the millions and the bass would feed, they are very difficult to catch, no matter what you use to imitate them, better off using something completely off pattern like a craw crank.

This year is going to be one to remember, get a plane ticket, hitch hike, bicycle, whatever you have to do to find your way out here, lol! CL has extremely limited shoreline access, making it tough for out of towners. But there are many guides on the lake, and it helps guys from out of state, unfortunately with my boat out of service indeterminate, I may not be one of them this season. But you can guarantee I'll still be fishing there, even if confined to electric motor only!

Thanks guys, it's been fun sharing with you!

You can rent my boat till yours is out of the shop for a small fee!!