Evinrude G2 250hp or Mercury pro xs 250

Magic Man CP

So I picked up a champion awhile back with a "running" 89 Johnson 3500$...needed all kinds of work but hull and interior were great...paint and mechanics needed work...new steering...new wiring...new batteries cosmetics...sweet rattle can camo delta grass paint job...good to go...no f'n way...first day out...blew the cylinder on the hole shot...

Here's my warning...I paid 4500$ to Marine Pro Shops in Fresno, ca...DO NOT DO BUSINESS THERE...KEITH IS HACKY AND DISHONEST...needless to say the rebuilt Merc I bought failed and the warranty was garbage...I took it back once...he "repaired" it...and it failed again...this time blew a cylinder again beyond rebuild...the five hour round trip to be robbed again wasn't worth it...cut my losses...

Long story short I found Boatmasters in Livermore,ca...if you have never had the pleasure of working with Mike the owner and his staff you owe it to yourself...first class outfit...I purchased a cherry "used" 94 mariner 150...motor runs great and I trust the diagnostics that were done prior...it is smaller than the original 200...second 220 and down to 150...gets me top speed of about 58 but I'd rather sacrifice a few mph for no worries...plus if you've ever fished the delta pushing 60+ is sketchy...

Magic is in great hands at Boatmasters...and I'd probably go Merc on the new motor...there are more of those on the water and tho any brand can fail anytime that's just my gut feeling...good luck bro

fter countless hrs with Yamaha and service centers, and research on class action lawsuits,, I'm DONE with Yamaha, and I'm hoping other people consider my situation in their future purchase as well. Numerous lawsuits found Yamaha to be practicing in extreme negligence, and continuously avoiding recognition to a KNOWN flaw in their product. Yamaha explained to me that Yamaha of Japan is not liable for the issues because they do not directly sell products to the United States, but rather sell to a distributor known as Yamaha of USA, Yamaha of USA is relieved of all liabilities because they're only an importer, not the actual manufacturer. If that's not the perfect definition of a scam I don't know how they could improve it!

Thought I should take this opportunity to pile on Yamaha.  I haven't owned one of their outboards and I never will.  However, 5 years ago, I bought a Yamaha sound bar and receiver for my entertainment center.  Cost me like $500+.  F'ing POS didn't last 4 months before it started shorting out and going into auto-shut down mode.  Took to repair center under "warranty" total joke.  They claimed to have fixed it after they kept it for 3 weeks.  Got it home, same problem.  Started calling Yamaha's customer service center and started getting what is to this day, the biggest run-around I've ever personally experienced.  They literally jerked me around and lied to me and passed me off until the factory warranty expired. Moral = They do not honor their factory warranties and will take all measures to get out of them. 

2nd experience is more recent and more on topic.  Got a bug up my ass last summer and decided I wanted to buy a jet boat to take the family skiing. I just had it in my head that it must be a jet boat and must be twin engine.  So I looked into the Yamaha jets and settled on getting a used LS2000.  Didn't do any research, just bought one on a whim. Then I start researching it and turns out these things rolled out of the factory with a laundry list of factory defects, none of which have ever been properly addressed by Yamaha. No recalls, no apologies, nothing.  There's an entire online community forum dedicated to helping owners go through and fix all of these defects before they all blow their engines or cause themselves physical harm.  It's insane.  In general, I've found the little Yamaha LS2000 to be a cute little boat but very cheaply made.  You can just tell that the hull material is very thin.  Everything rattles and vibrates like crazy.  So I'm going to fix all the defects later this month, try to enjoy it for a full season, and then sell it.  But unlike the guy I bought it from, I'll be explaining to the next owner exactly what they're buying and what I've done to fix it. 

It will be the last Yamaha product I own.  No doubt.  </rant>

If it ain't black and handsome, it ain't on my transom. Lol.

I've had 1 Yamaha hpdi and it was a great motor. It was a 225. I bought it new in 06 and had it on a ranger Z20. I never really had any problems out of it other than Yamaha paying to replace a lower unit due to the wrong thrust washer being used on it. ( factory recall ) The only down fall to that motor was the oil consumption and the lack of top end speed. It did have an incredible hole shot though.

In 2008 I traded that boat on a Z520 with an E-tec and it was the biggest piece of $h!t I've ever had. In one year I put 2 power heads on it, 8 injectors total (all at various times ), a lower unit, and a power trim motor. All of that took place over the course of 1 year. I'll never ever own another evinrude product.

The next 3 boats (4 motors) have all been mercury pro xs 250's. Nowhere near the problems from them. I did have a piston go through the side of the block on a 2010 that had about 200 hours on it in 2012. I repowered it with a 2012 which caused no problems whatsoever ( it was slower on top end by about 3mph though ) In the spring of 2014 bought a new boat with a mercury and just blew it up Saturday. Piston was shot after 260 hours on it, so I traded it on a new boat and motor. Lol.

Can't go wrong with the pro xs.....now motor guide trolling motors are another story. Lol.

Edited by charlie.m.jr

If it ain't black and handsome, it ain't on my transom. Lol.

I've had 1 Yamaha hpdi and it was a great motor. It was a 225. I bought it new in 06 and had it on a ranger Z20. I never really had any problems out of it other than Yamaha paying to replace a lower unit due to the wrong thrust washer being used on it. ( factory recall ) The only down fall to that motor was the oil consumption and the lack of top end speed. It did have an incredible hole shot though.

In 2008 I traded that boat on a Z520 with an E-tec and it was the biggest piece of $h!t I've ever had. In one year I put 2 power heads on it, 8 injectors total (all at various times ), a lower unit, and a power trim motor. All of that took place over the course of 1 year. I'll never ever own another evinrude product.

The next 3 boats (4 motors) have all been mercury pro xs 250's. Nowhere near the problems from them. I did have a piston go through the side of the block on a 2010 that had about 200 hours on it in 2012. I repowered it with a 2012 which caused no problems whatsoever ( it was slower on top end by about 3mph though ) In the spring of 2014 bought a new boat with a mercury and just blew it up Saturday. Piston was shot after 260 hours on it, so I traded it on a new boat and motor. Lol.

Can't go wrong with the pro xs.....now motor guide trolling motors are another story. Lol.

Dude! You didn't have that hpdi quite long enough to experience the problems! And from the sound of it, your other five boats in six years, lol,, probably didn't have them long enough either,, haha you change rigs as often as I respool my reels with new line! Haha

I can't get a new rig that often, but sadly the industry is kind of engineered around guys that can, and guys who can't. I know I'm probably expecting too much from a race engine,, just wish they were a lil more dependable for the money they cost.

Magic man,

You're right I am lucky enough to be in a position that I can trade like I do. I liked that Yamaha, it just wasn't the top end motor a mercury is. I've had great luck out of all my Mercury's. I put a lot of hours on one for sure. In my experience about 2 years is all you get out of one with no trouble. The 2014 I had I was just fixing to pay to extend the warranty and I could trade for not much more than that and I wouldn't have to wait 3 weeks for mine to get fixed. Got two big tournaments coming up in the next 3 weeks. I bought the boat at C&O and they jumped right on getting things swapped over for me so I could fish saturday afternoon and fish a tournament sunday. It's back there now getting the rest of my stuff swapped over this week.

Yea I hear you man, and if I still fished professionally it would be a lot easier to trade up under the programs they offer. There's obviously advantages and disadvantages of that. I bought my rig outright with cash, it's been nice being payment/interest free for all these years, but then when something catastrophic occurs you're left holding a title that is worth hardly anything. Having a new setup every three years or so is sweet too, I have a bunch of friends on the circuit who run on those deals, but always have a payment, very similar to leasing a vehicle vs. financing. That's a great way to go seeing how most have to finance their new $70k + setups for 15 years,, but getting a high hp motor to go the life of the loan is seemingly impossible...

In the last couple weeks I was considering trading up to a brand new Ranger, very very tempting. Was looking at getting around $15k for mine with a blown motor, but would have to get a loan for the remaining amount. The rig I was looking at was give or take a couple Gs off of $83k... and that's fully rigged w top of the line electronics and poles/talons. Hugely tempting. And if I could get a warranty for the life of the loan I probably would be picking out carpet color rt now. But envisioning myself eight or ten years from now, freshly out of warranty, with another possible blown motor hanging off a boat that I'd still be paying on for at least five or seven years,, that's hard to digest! So I think this is the best route for me, throw another $35k into mine, that'll get me another motor covered for eight years, pair of Talons, new jack plate and all the fixens, new electronics front and back, new motorguide, fresh new wrap, and maybe recarpet and upholstery/accents. It'll be like having a brand new rig at less than half the price. And my hull, interior and trailer are all extremely well kept anyways. I retire in 10yrs 4mos and a few days from now, then maybe treat myself to a pile of debt after that, haha!

I'll be the absolute first to say, it's not the boat that catches the fish, two of my best fish including my pb, were caught in my 13' hand me down aluminum trout trolling rig I did a Home Depot bass rig transformation on!

Btw, that's interesting you didn't get the top end performance from your hpdi, that's where Yami seems to really shine, and they love wide open keeping them cylinders cool,, I think you mentioned having the 225 though, rt? My 250 could not be touched aside from a Bullet. I was hitting 78-80 no prob, while most other rigs fully loaded are peaking around low 70s. And believe me I hear all the guys claiming way more, but I'm telling you for past ten years I've only had two boats pull away from me, one a Bullet with a 300 merc xb, and some catamaran on the delta running quad 502s at about 5gpm lol. If I can get 70mph from the new Merc, I'll be plenty happy.

Yea I hear you man, and if I still fished professionally it would be a lot easier to trade up under the programs they offer. There's obviously advantages and disadvantages of that. I bought my rig outright with cash, it's been nice being payment/interest free for all these years, but then when something catastrophic occurs you're left holding a title that is worth hardly anything. Having a new setup every three years or so is sweet too, I have a bunch of friends on the circuit who run on those deals, but always have a payment, very similar to leasing a vehicle vs. financing. That's a great way to go seeing how most have to finance their new $70k + setups for 15 years,, but getting a high hp motor to go the life of the loan is seemingly impossible...

In the last couple weeks I was considering trading up to a brand new Ranger, very very tempting. Was looking at getting around $15k for mine with a blown motor, but would have to get a loan for the remaining amount. The rig I was looking at was give or take a couple Gs off of $83k... and that's fully rigged w top of the line electronics and poles/talons. Hugely tempting. And if I could get a warranty for the life of the loan I probably would be picking out carpet color rt now. But envisioning myself eight or ten years from now, freshly out of warranty, with another possible blown motor hanging off a boat that I'd still be paying on for at least five or seven years,, that's hard to digest! So I think this is the best route for me, throw another $35k into mine, that'll get me another motor covered for eight years, pair of Talons, new jack plate and all the fixens, new electronics front and back, new motorguide, fresh new wrap, and maybe recarpet and upholstery/accents. It'll be like having a brand new rig at less than half the price. And my hull, interior and trailer are all extremely well kept anyways. I retire in 10yrs 4mos and a few days from now, then maybe treat myself to a pile of debt after that, haha!

I'll be the absolute first to say, it's not the boat that catches the fish, two of my best fish including my pb, were caught in my 13' hand me down aluminum trout trolling rig I did a Home Depot bass rig transformation on!

Btw, that's interesting you didn't get the top end performance from your hpdi, that's where Yami seems to really shine, and they love wide open keeping them cylinders cool,, I think you mentioned having the 225 though, rt? My 250 could not be touched aside from a Bullet. I was hitting 78-80 no prob, while most other rigs fully loaded are peaking around low 70s. And believe me I hear all the guys claiming way more, but I'm telling you for past ten years I've only had two boats pull away from me, one a Bullet with a 300 merc xb, and some catamaran on the delta running quad 502s at about 5gpm lol. If I can get 70mph from the new Merc, I'll be plenty happy.

You should get some led's ALL over and a BBD carpet logo...just saying

You should get some led's ALL over and a BBD carpet logo...just saying

I called my decorator Loui, and he's putting together some really fun lil things,, I'm just so happy rt now!!! I have to check into getting sponsored so I can run this logo, it's gonna be sooo fabulous fellas! Ohhh, and look Slant, leds in vibrant rainbow! Don't forget your glow sticks!post-24160-0-12211700-1457482142_thumb.pngpost-24160-0-13857900-1457482195_thumb.png

Magic Man,

My HPDI ( 225 ) on my Z20 ( Hydraulic Plate as well ) would only push that boat tournament loaded with 2 people about 68 or 69. I tried several different props on it and none were better on it than the factory Yamaha prop. I do carry a lot of fishing tackle in my boat so I know that will slow it down. That boat fished good, rode good, and handled great. It just wouldn't run on top end.

The Z520 with the E-tec would absolutely fly on top end. Fishing loaded it would run about 75 consistently. I just couldn't rely on that motor to get me back. There were several times that it blew up on the way back when I had a good sack of fish and I wouldn't dare let out of it. Not to mention when the trim motor went out. ( thank goodness I had it all the way down when I stopped )

The Z21 I had with a 250 pro XS would run about 73 tournament loaded. For that heavy b@st@rd I thought that was incredible. I actually miss that boat. I had no problems with it, someone just wanted it worse than me. LOL.

On the Triton's I've had, the only one that ran like advertised was a 21HP. That boat tournament loaded would do a little better than 80. It would fly, but in my opinion, it rode like $h!t. With the TRX it's a little bit more of a Ranger ride with the Triton speed. I can get about 74 to 75 consistently of it.

post-24160-0-68396800-1457547373_thumb.png

I just stripped my rig before I took her in for the new motor. Believe me, you and I are on the same page as far as "tournament loaded" goes, haha. At least 30 of those setups are on/in my boat at any given time. And yes, I carry a backup 109 motorguide at all times also, for the gentlemen who have to go grab a beer if their motor takes a dump while on the water (Slant lol). 

My 250hpdi would hit upper 70s on gps consistently through the years. And yea, I'll probably miss that extra 6-8mph,, but gladly sacrifice it for reliability! 

attachicon.gifScreenshot_2016-03-09-10-14-32-1.png

I just stripped my rig before I took her in for the new motor. Believe me, you and I are on the same page as far as "tournament loaded" goes, haha. At least 30 of those setups are on/in my boat at any given time. And yes, I carry a backup 109 motorguide at all times also, for the gentlemen who have to go grab a beer if their motor takes a dump while on the water (Slant lol). 

My 250hpdi would hit upper 70s on gps consistently through the years. And yea, I'll probably miss that extra 6-8mph,, but gladly sacrifice it for reliability! 

I'm impressed beyond belief that your ranger would hit that with the amount of tackle you carry. Must be doing something right. My dad had a 519 that would run about 78 but he said it rode like a log truck. He had a Mercury on it ( years before Pro XS came out ) and Ranger ended up buying that boat back from him because that motor caused him so much problems. He put 3 power heads on that boat in a span of a month when he fished FLW.  P!$$ed doesn't even begin to describe how mad he was at that boat. LOL

Screenshot_2016-03-09-10-14-32-1.png

Thanks for calling me out lol