Anyone ever ripped a fs like a trap??

Jtelarkin08

There are a few lakes near me that get a really good rattle trap bite this time of the year. I was thinking about taking my 8 inch and 6 inch fs trout and slow rolling them in the grass and ripping them out when they get grass on them like you do a trap. I'm gonna try this as soon as I can get out and go.

I have fished mine like this at a small, shallow city park lake that gets overrun with weeds in the summer. Mostly did it with the freestyle shad (cuz i didn't have the bluegill yet :lol: ). Had some pretty good success leading fish i saw and ripping it out of the weeds as they got a foot or two from it. It either A) Made them hit with ferocious intention, or B) Scared them shitless. Most of the time the bit it or t-boned. I missed a few, but also caught a bunch, nothing mind blowing, mostly 3-4 lb fish.

I would imagine on a good trap lake that it would work good, especially if the fish are keying in on the weed line. Matter of fact, when it heats back up here, there's somewhere i need to try it out ;)

Go for it! Let us know how you do!

Geoff

Some of the grass I am gonna fish is kinda deep 8-14 ft. I'm gonna throw it on floro to help get it deep. That's the only thing I'm worried about.

The freestyles do pretty well as big traps. Like flyfor said, sometimes it scares them, but I would imagine a larger fish wouldn't get as spooked, but it just depends on the fish...

As for fishing deep - that's where they ought to be - I've caught some great fish on deeper weedlines. We have a lot of sunken trees and another junk mixed in with grass, so I always pack a lure retriever. Throw them on 25lb invis (personal favorite) and look for weedlines with easy access to deeper water (if there is any). The bigguns like to come up and cruise those lines for food then roll back down to deeper/safer water.

I have tried it with SS models and have a hard time keeping the bait down. I've upped the hooks, added lead strips...it sinks, but when I give it a decent pop it takes a painfully long time to get back down into the weeds. I'm fishing it in 6-12 feet usually.

Any tips for getting it stay down?

I went today and tried it out.. It was very slow today.. I threw both the fs trout and fs shad.. I was having two problems today when ripping it from the grass.. The first problem was when i would rip it free, the quick rip movement would rip it free but the bait would rise up in the water column... Also i dont know if it was the wind or me fishing to fast i could not keep the bait deep enough to fish the grass that was in 8-12 ft of water.. This however may have been me fishing to fast.. The trout does not rip free of the grass as well as the shad does.. I was really having trouble keeping the shad down tho.. So i improvised.. I rigged up a 1/2 oz tungston weight pegged on a carolina rig and at teh end of a 15 inch leader i put my ss freestyle shad.. It fished much better in the grass.. The weight would run through the grass without hanging on anything and the shad seemed to run just above the weight.. When i would hang in the grass a rip got it out.. I didnt catch many but i did catch one.. I was hung in some grass ripped it out an he ate it.. My buddy was throwing a trap and only had one fish too..

174d66bb.jpg