Triple Trout questions:

SKSlide

Hey guys, I know a lot of you have used or do use the Triple Trout so I was hoping for some opinions. I have one arriving tomorrow and getting another one on a bait exchange. The one arriving tomorrow is the 8 inch in blue trout which I thought would be the perfect compromise here in Va between a small and large bait.

Question one, must I use a snap or will direct tie work fine?

Question two, for my second TT should I get a 10" or a 7 " ? I'm leaning toward a 7 inch in the Bone color because of the shad here...or would you recommend another color? Or should I just get another 8 inch?

Thanks for the help in advance guys! Much appreciated!

Hey so first off, I suggest you use the snap, as it gives the bait more freedom to have a better action. Usually I just use the snap that comes in the box and it works just fine. And for size on your next TT, I would suggest you use the 10", as I think the 8" and 10" have much better swimming actions than the smaller ones.

Hey so first off, I suggest you use the snap, as it gives the bait more freedom to have a better action. Usually I just use the snap that comes in the box and it works just fine. And for size on your next TT, I would suggest you use the 10", as I think the 8" and 10" have much better swimming actions than the smaller ones.

I tie direct and it works fine. I recommend the 10" but only if you're willing to put the time into it. The 7" and 8" are very similar in size, not a lot of difference at all in the size of fish that bite them from my experience either. The 10" will definitely draw the bigger fish, but if you don't have 10" forage that the fish are feeding on, it may be a waste. If you have trout, you definitely have 10" forage they are eating. I got bit really fast on the 7" and 8" but it took me a lot longer to put enough time into the 10" to get bit, but once I did, I got rid of almost all the other sizes. Good luck!

On a lipless bait, you want to tie direct. Regarding the size of the next bait, get the ten inch if you would feel confident throwing it. If not, stick with 8" and maybe get another color. I don't think the smaller ones swim as well. The ten inch version is the one that built the reputation of this bait. If you want to match the shad, there are baitfish colors available  and, if you can't find one of those, kokanee is close enough that the fish won't care. 

If you have not watched it, get a copy of Southern Trout Eaters and pay attention to the cadence used when they fish the Triple Trout.

Good luck.

Edited by Top Ramen