weedless rising son

Salty_Cak

I thought I'd add some observations from my recent trips with this bait. First I want to say that I am in no way an expert on it. I'll leave the expert analysis to guys like Top Ramen who have a lot more experience with it. But I thought I would share mistakes I made so others will hopefully not repeat them.

The weather in the northeast was really cold and wet last week so it was not the optimum conditions for this bait (not all that many fish were shallow) but I fished it anyways because I wanted to learn to fish it. I think it will fill a real niche for those of us who fish weedy waters. I've probably had about 20 fish hit and put half of those in the boat. Four or five of those were 4 pounds to just under 5 pounds. The best fish I had was one about 6 which I botched. I thought it was smaller and I would just swing it and then when it got to boat side I decided I had better net it and while getting the net the fish turned and got off. Duh.

The 2 most important things I've learned are: (1) rig the bait PERFECTLY straight and (2) point the rod at the bait.

Rigging the bait straight is really important but not super easy. Once you screw the keeper into the head you need to bend the body around and insert the point of the hook. You have the bait twisted around so much that it is a bit difficult (at least for me starting out) to get it perfect. So I would recommend doing that step slowly and carefully. If you rig it correctly it swims like a dream at almost any speed. Rig it crooked and it will want to turn on its side. So again be careful and take your time. I like the idea someone mentioned of using a sharpie to make a dot where the hook enters. Make sure you get the dot perfectly centered and the correct distance back. Your bait will hold up better and run more consistently if you get the hook placed correctly on the first try. I do this at home rather than trying to get it done on the water. Rig up extra baits and if one gets torn or ripped change to another pre-rigged bait. When you get home you can repair the torn bait with Mend-It or similar glue. Mend-It will keep your baits working for a long time.

Keeping the rod tip down pointed at the bait definitely helps with the hookups but its hard to remember this on the water because it is not your normal rod position. Most of the fish I have lost were when early-on when I hadn't learned how important this is. I believe what happens is that if the fish gets a chance to turn its head, that big fat bait head gets caught in the corner of the mouth which prevents any hooking. When you keep the rod tip pointed at the bait you get the hook point started BEORE the bass has a chance to turn and get it in the corner of the jaw. Old habits are hard to change so you may find yourself fishing it with the rod tip high. You'll catch far fewer fish that way. I try to remember to cast and then put the rod handle at the bottom of my rib cage which helps get the rod oriented correctly.

Some on SU perviously mentioned using paper clips to hold Hudds when moving around. That works great for these baits also. Twist a pepper clip into an "S" shape and run one end through the hook keeper. As I already said I am no expert on these baits and would appreciate any comments. Hope some of this helps.

post-21326-0-52796600-1462934468_thumb.jpg

I put a Velcro cable tie on my rod just in front of the grip and use that for weedless baits. Just peel back half to three-quarters of a turn, run the line under it, then wrap it back down. Pull it snug and you're set.

post-18711-0-49192400-1462935287_thumb.jpg

I keep telling people to point the rod right at the bait but they always seem to have to learn the hard way.  ;  )

My hook-up ration went from about 50% to about 90% when I figured that out. It does feel a bit odd at first but you get used to it quickly and putting nice fish in the boat was all the motivation I needed to keep doing it.

Congrats on your success and  it will only get better as you get used to the bait.

Edited by Top Ramen

post-24160-0-28118600-1463002540_thumb.pngpost-24160-0-24128000-1463002489_thumb.png

Here's how I rig my soft swims for in or around cover, which is 90% of my fishing. For years I've been running similar soft swims like the latest weedless RS's. Glad these are now available, he has a durable product that has a great profile. I've been using the 5" 3:16 minnow for over a decade with phenomenal results.

Personally though, the recommended beast hook, or similar style hook, would never work for me. Between the screw eye being too much of a weak point, and the weight located where it is, there's a better option from my experience. Normally, before becoming a member on SU, I wouldn't share my lil secret tips, haha! But seeing how less than a handful of guys here actually fish my water, I'm more than happy to share my advice, and hopefully someone out there can benefit from it.

My setups and style of fishing isn't for everyone, I'm kind of a KVD power fisherman a lot of the time. I get out there and cover lots of water, only slowing down when the bite suggests I need to. So I need my baits to keep up. I rig this hook like this for two reasons,, I'm often casting far beyond the water's edge into sparse tules. The screw eye gets ripped out way too easily pulling this style of bait through the cover I'm fishing. And I don't have time to sit and repair baits constantly, especially fishing in heavy wind and current on the CA Delta. Secondly, I need my hook to be weighted so it tracks straight, but the weight needs to be as forward on the shank as possible. It runs straighter this way, and dips and dives more natural when I want it too. Once I get the bait rt where I want it, I'll sometimes slow it way down too. That's where tying in as much weight as desired is a huge benefit of this style.

First I start with a beefy 8/0 VMC EWG hook. Tie on some thread to the shank, apply a thin layer of super glue, the wrap the desired amount of lead wire on to it, roughly 1/16 to 1/4 oz. Coat the lead with two part epoxy and let set up on a leveling/drying motor for a smooth even finish. Paint goes on last, optional.

For the RS and similar baits, I core out an internal pocket, like on the 5" minnow. This helps two ways, body compression for better hooksets, and a lil buoyancy. Finish it all up with a lil olive oil or favorite lube on the shank, and you have a bait even a Wisconsin sz trophy can eat! (For my boy Justin)

Good luck

Can you show a picture of the cut? How deep and how far back i do you go?

post-24160-0-07808900-1463091637_thumb.png

Hopefully this helps,, takes a lil creativity on your part too. I tune my baits very precisely, almost to where it seems like no two are exactly alike. Where or how you cut it is upto you,, and please don't flood my pm box if you damage any, haha,, keep some glue on hand! I've been getting messages asking if I sell these, unfortunately I do not, my time would cost far more than they're worth. You'll be happy with them though, I've had some positive feedback from a couple guys already swearing they run far truer than the Owners!