Finally - New PB

aikenyounggun

I have been trying to break a PB for more than 5 years.  I never catch big fish (even though I fish a ton and win some tournaments) so over 2 years ago I got addicted to swimbaits.  I have caught some 6's but mostly have spent a lot of time learning new things and zero-ing.  

Fast forward to today, and I wake up from my buddy bailing on the trip (for good reasons).  Anyway, I decide to sleep in and sleep in more than expected.  Get up and drive an hour and half to the lake and the lake has minimal wind.  I immediately start kicking myself because the forecast is calling for 25+ mph later in the day.

As I idle out, I look at the map to pick a place to start.  This was my third time on the lake, so lots of new water.  I tie on my 250, new version, with the Deps lip weight.  I still have yet to catch a fish on the 250, but jumped off a 6lber in the fall right at the boat and then promptly broke my rod the next night.  Finally have a rod that can handle the bait and am committed to throwing the 250 all day.

I almost run up the lake, but decide to stay close.  Water temp is right over 57, colder than I expected.

I start going to work on a few docks that lead out to a point.  As I approach the last dock next to the point, I notice the wind has picked up and is kind of kicking across the point with my side being protected.  

I parallel the dock and make a cast.  About 15 yards from the boat I see a shadow right behind the bait.  A big shadow.

I don't know if I will ever get used to seeing a good follower, but my heart starts beating and my brain says all sorts of things, none which I think are in English.  

Couple cranks and the fish is all over it so I let it glide out wide and kill it.  The fish engulfs the bait as it stops on the end of the wide glide.  

BUT wait, the fish  grabbed it from the top down, right at the eyes all the way down the first joint.  My immediate thought it "oh $%^&, she didn't get the hooks".  But I'm committed now and slowly pull into her.  Boom, I feel her weight.

She feels my weight and immediately head shakes (which I can see).  I fight her for a little bit, she dives under the boat.  My net is in perfect position for me to grab it.  Finally get her up and struggle with the net, but after bumping her twice I get her in the net.

I'm stoked.  Yelling like a fool.  I unhook her and put in the livewell.  Grab the weigh-in bag and start dumping water in there to help it fill up quicker.

I weigh her a minute later and she goes 8lbs 8oz.  HUGE mouth, but her body is pretty skinny all things compared.  But I will take her.

See a guy putting in at a ramp and idle over there so he can take some pics.  After some pics, I took her back to where I caught her and put her back.  

post-22116-0-75445300-1460069844_thumb.jpg

post-22116-0-02390500-1460069892_thumb.jpg

post-22116-0-27780300-1460069943_thumb.jpg

Caught another one right under 5 at the end of the day (boat flip), but saw some other good fish too.

Bumped into an SU member too.

Thanks guys for all the fish pictures over the past two years.  Helps me keep my motivation after a week of zeros.

Nice bass Isaac, I like the part about the voices in your head talkin jibberish. That happens to all of us at critical times. Eventually you will understand those voices, and, swimbaiting will be much less stressful. Where is your home base ?

Thanks for all the kind words.

Buddy and I went out today and the weather was exactly the same.  Of course we zeroed.  Thought I had something sort of figured out - wrong.  Just another step in our constant struggle/learning process.

And I live in upstate SC.  My username is a town in the low country where I grew up - but the username has been around a long time.

The lake is in GA and is one of the lakes shown in STE.  

AWESOME catch and equally awesome story telling!  I was getting excited just reading it.  Congrats on a great new PB!!

Oh...BTW.  I just put in that lip weight into my 250 today.  What are you seeing in terms of performance/sink?

-Carl

https://www.youtube.com/user/KeepinItReelFishing

Edited by KeepinItReelFishing

In terms of the lip weight - it sinks pretty fast.  I would say maybe 3/4 a foot per second... so guess that would be like a ~ROF8 in swimbait terms.   Definitely sinks nose down a little.  Maybe a 30 degree angle.

If you throw it out there and swim it back at a fair speed, it will stay 3 feet down, which I think it killer.  

I want to start fishing them pretty deep, like keeping them at 10 feet (and deeper) and I think it will be perfect for that... But I think for the average guy it may be a little too heavy.  

I'm gonna start playing with the weights this summer and seeing how half the lip weight or 3/4s affects the fall.

In terms of the lip weight - it sinks pretty fast.  I would say maybe 3/4 a foot per second... so guess that would be like a ~ROF8 in swimbait terms.   Definitely sinks nose down a little.  Maybe a 30 degree angle.

If you throw it out there and swim it back at a fair speed, it will stay 3 feet down, which I think it killer.  

I want to start fishing them pretty deep, like keeping them at 10 feet (and deeper) and I think it will be perfect for that... But I think for the average guy it may be a little too heavy.  

I'm gonna start playing with the weights this summer and seeing how half the lip weight or 3/4s affects the fall.

Great man....thanks for the information.  I too want the option of keeping it at 10ft+....looking forward to using it.

Edited by KeepinItReelFishing