If you could only choose one - Dobys, Okuma, Daiwa

danthefisherman

I'm looking into purchasing my very first true swimbait rod and am on the fence between these three. Sorry if this post seems a little bit too similar to other posts, but I'd really appreciate your opinions/help.

So...pretend you are on an extremely tight budget and would like to get a quality rod that will last and suite needs to handle swimbaits anywhere from 1 to 4 or 5 ounces while also not costing you too much...which would you choose?

1) DOBYNS FURY 795SB ($119.99)
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Dobyns_Fury_Casting_Rods/descpage-DFC.html

2) OKUMA GUIDE SELECT A ($125.99)
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Okuma_Guide_Select_a_Series_Swimbait_Casting_Rods/descpage-OGSA.html

3) DAIWA DX ($109.99)
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Daiwa_DX_Swimbait_Casting_Rods/descpage-DXB.html

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm also interested in hearing any pros and/or cons of these three. If there are any other notable rod choices in this price range, feel free to suggest them. Thanks!

Also to add:

I would tend to throw treble hook baits on that 795 up to 4oz.

Rated to 5 oz but I would not throw a jig hook style soft bait on that specific rod.

If you are looking for versatility in the sense of both treble and jig hook baits I personally would go with the Daiwa DX in a heavy.

I prefer a full grip to split grip so that is what my decision is based on although I've heard good things about the okuma guide select, just not my cup of tea.

If your staying between 1-5 ounce Go with the fury

The fury is a sweet rod but I do not believe in choosing a rod solely based on weight ratings.

The question becomes what do you want to do with the rod, which baits are you planning on throwing etc.

Dobyns Fury. I love mine! It handles a nice variety of baits. If you're trying to get into 4-5oz and up you might want to look another rod. It does handle the 1-3 oz baits with ease. I haven't pushed it beyond that because I really don't have any baits that exceed that limit or not by much anyway. It would probably handle heavier baits fine though.

The fury is a sweet rod but I do not believe in choosing a rod solely based on weight ratings.

The question becomes what do you want to do with the rod, which baits are you planning on throwing etc.

+1 there is no 1 rod...I have 8 swimbait specific rods all different functions...and still am missing some ranges...narrow a bait selection down then gear up accordingly...when your ready to use different baits be ready to get a different rod

+1 there is no 1 rod...I have 8 swimbait specific rods all different functions...and still am missing some ranges...narrow a bait selection down then gear up accordingly...when your ready to use different baits be ready to get a different rod

This is true. If I could afford as many set ups I know I would be the same way.

I have a couple different swimbait rods and one of those, my Fenwick has been a great 6 inch and 68 rod. Sadly I am losing it to a buddy of mine and will need another Huddleston (6 and 68's), 6-7 inch Ospreys...line thru and back hook, rago back hooks , 5-7 inch.... any suggestions?  I was going to just buy a couple more Fury's but I am seeing some comments suggesting it's not a rod for back hooked/jig head swimbaits like the Hudd.  Why is that first of all?   Second of all, I saw a nod for the Daiwa DX H for the jig head baits...I wouldn't be opposed for the money!!  

Thanks guys!

I too am hesitant about pulling the trigger on a rod that might not be the best for what I'm planning to fish, but I'm not really in the position to purchase more than one if I still want to get a reel to use as well. I'm planning to fish some old, hand-me-down line thru baits as well as homemade treble hooked lures and possibly things like hudds, gantarels, savage gear line thrus, and s wavers that I'm considering for the future...so nothing too big yet. Are any of these three better than the others in terms of versatility or throwing the baits I mentioned? Thanks for all your input!

I too am hesitant about pulling the trigger on a rod that might not be the best for what I'm planning to fish, but I'm not really in the position to purchase more than one if I still want to get a reel to use as well. I'm planning to fish some old, hand-me-down line thru baits as well as homemade treble hooked lures and possibly things like hudds, gantarels, savage gear line thrus, and s wavers that I'm considering for the future...so nothing too big yet. Are any of these three better than the others in terms of versatility or throwing the baits I mentioned? Thanks for all your input!

I still think the Fury is the best of the 3 for what you're planning to throw. I haven't thrown a Hudd on mine but a variety of treble hooked baits. You might also check out the Irod Jr. Swimbait rod...I had one and it was extremely versatile too. I have zero experience with the Daiwa but I am considering adding one and seeing where it fits in.

Edited by SKSlide

I fish the okuma guide select A series, heavy. I LOVE THIS ROD. it is so versatile I can't even begin to explain. I fish baits that range from a deps 250 to a hudd 6" and it has never failed me yet. I'll even use it for jigging in saltwater and throwing live bait as well. I've caught 8+ lb bass on it and red drum 40+inches. it handles anything I throw at it. I can't speak for the others cause I've never used them.. but this rod is an absolute workhorse from my experience with it. 

I have (2) Dobyns Champion Series swimbait rods (867 & 806) and I love them...I just picked up the Fury 795 and I got to say I'm really impressed...I paired it with a Daiwa Tatula HD200HS and the combo is perfect for baits up to about (4) ounces...The build quality on the rod is awesome and I'm digging the green color...If I was to pick just one of the (3) you mentioned I'd get the Fury...