Spiral wrap or not?

AndZ

Hey guys, I'm having my first serious swimbait rod custom built on a 8', 1 - 8 oz. blank from NFC... but it won't be my last swimbait rod for sure.

I've waited long time for the components to arrive at the rod builder... but they're finally here and this weekend I'll get him the blank to start working on it.

Funny thing is until a few days I was dead on the spiral guides setup, but now I'm not that sure anymore. I owned some JDM rods that came with acid wrap from factory, first guide offset to about 45 degrees to the left and I didn't think I experienced line buildup on the reel spool.

Now, after talking with different people, I got even more confused. Some recommended me a spiral wrap recipe that goes 0/45/135 degrees... other told me to go a different route such as +30 (offset the opposite the spiral direction)/90 and that's it.

I just got off the phone with the builder who also had doubts about the necessity of a spiral wrap. The blank is a Mod-Fast action, but it's really stiff at the first view. I don't know what to do: go spiral or keep it simple, straight on top?

Any idea would help me make up my mind or not :D but thanks anyway!

I attached a picture of the blank deflection test with different weights... I suppose the weights are in European grams.

I am planning to use the rod mostly for slide swimmers 250, 8 and 10" megabass magdraft and other big baits in the 4 to 7 oz. lure range. I got the reel already, a Lexa 300HL, did some bearing upgrades on the handle and cast control... and I can't wait to get the rod built! The lake I usually fish in here for other speciese got a lot more clearer lately (over 7' visibility) so it should work ok for swimbaits...

post-26627-0-83403200-1461240095_thumb.jpg

It's personal preference really. Neither one is better than the other IMO. All the swimbait rods I own now are spiral wrapped. But I've owned plenty that werent. And they both work fine. One thing that I can say about spiral wrapped is I think you have to be alittle more conscious when your using one, because there are eyes on 3 sides of the rod rather than just 1, it's prob easier to bend or break an eye on a spiral wrapped rod.

It's personal preference really. Neither one is better than the other IMO. All the swimbait rods I own now are spiral wrapped. But I've owned plenty that werent. And they both work fine. One thing that I can say about spiral wrapped is I think you have to be alittle more conscious when your using one, because there are eyes on 3 sides of the rod rather than just 1, it's prob easier to bend or break an eye on a spiral wrapped rod.

+1 for the most part...I own several of each and switch between both without knowing the difference in guide performance...obviously rods perform differently...I don't find any dif in possible damage tho...if you step on a rod guide on your deck...chances are it doesn't matter either...

If you guys are worried about breaking the guides on your spiral wrapped rods, try using recoil guides. I have a custom rod that was built with recoil guides and now I will never go back. You can bend these guides all you want and they ain't gonna break! These are big bait rods, not finesse worm rods, so you really don't need those fancy ultra sensitive guides that are eventually gonna break if you're not careful. I was trying to get a rod built and the rod builder laughed at me when I said I wanted recoil guides (LDC).... Went with his suggestion and was not happy and ended up selling the rod. I'm telling you guys, recoils guides are the sh*t!

Thanks for the thoughts, guys. I think it's a matter of personal preference, but in some cases, when you've got a blank that bends really deep, spiral wrap might be the only way of keeping the line out of the blank.

I owned 3 big bait rods that were spiral wrapped and never had any issues with line build up or with the casting distance. Now I still have a bait finesse stick rated 1/16 - 1/4 oz. that benefits from the spiral. I usually take great care of my rods and reels all the time so the guides sticking out all around the blank shouldn't be too much of a problem (transportation can get awkward though).

Still undecided... but simple seems better all of a sudden.

It has nothing to do with the guides, it has to do with guide placement and double foot vs single foot. Your rod builder should know how to spiral a rod and require advice from the customer. Personally I think Adam Cargill has the best spiral wrap formula, but you'd have to buy a rod from him to see it 8-)

You got that right :)

My rod builder came up with the idea of not going spiral. The guides are all double foot... and I'm wondering if the spiral guide won't have the advantage of using less guides and still not getting the line to touch the blank under load.

Edited by AndZ

The spiral wrap has been used extensively for good reason. I could care less about less guides, but it reduces torque under load assuming that the blank is splined properly.

this.

Thanks, I agree with you. However, the rod builder says the acid wrap will put unnecessary stress on the rotating guides that make the transition from the top of the rod to the bottom. I know lots of custom swimbait rods or more expensive JDM big bait rods are built with spiral wraps... so if they build them like that, there must be some benefits to that method. I owned some spiral wrapped big bait rods, but they were factory made (by Evergreen International Japan) and never had any issues with line build, guide threads cracking or so...

I might be off, but I am still insisting on the spiral setup. The rod builder will do as I say, eventually.

I only got 1 in my town. He will do as I say, no doubts about that. We don't have too many rod builders around here... just 2 that work good, one in a town 400 miles from here and another one in my city. We will do it together, with input from me. I don't want to look like a smarta&& or like I know everything about rod building, 'cause I don't, but in this case I'd really follow my guts.

I know :) maybe in the future I'll order a custom LDC, no worries about the build or anything... it's just that the shipping for anything over 7' in length by UPS is an ar and a leg... but I think there might be some alternative solutions.