Swimbait Storage

BIGSTEVE

I need to get a storage box for my swimbaits. Do any of you have a recommendation on the best one to get? I saw a couple on tackle warehouse but they are 30 bucks. Wondering if anyone knows of any better deals or should i just bite the bullet? Thanks.

Being new to swimbaiting, but, having some higher end baits i was in your same spot. I kept trying to figure out what to store these baits in which would keep them safe. I just bought a lakewood medium swimbait box. It was alot more then i planned on spending but these are tanks. I wouldnt be afraid to step on the thing its so solid. I dont think you can be to cautious with these baits, if im paying that much for a bait i want to make sure its safe and lakewood was the best choice for me.

Watch the 3:16 videos. Mickey just puts them all in a 3700 or the bottom of the locker.

I realize if he messes one up he can just repaint it or make another one, but if it works for him.....well, you know.

Hardbaits are fine stored together in a box. They get beat up more from you fishing them than they will in a box, IMO.

I made some boxes for myself to store soft baits. Those are really the only ones I take the time to straighten.

I just keep all my hardbaits in the individual boxes they came in and bought a plastic bin from target to put them in. The bin fits in a compartment in my boat which clears out all the clutter. A plastic bin from target will run you about 5 bucks. 8-) For soft baits grab one of the plano 3731 boxes and hit up MxMechanix here on SU for the rod that goes in the box. I believe the rod i got from him was about 10 bucks and the box is around 5. Your grand total will be around 20 bucks for everything and all your baits will be kept nice.

I bought those hook hangers and use those and just throw my baits in a big box. I have one of those Markeys boxes but it only hold a few baits and is very big and bulky. You can have it if you want, just shoot me your address.

I think I am going to just get a couple of those plano 3731 boxes because I have most of the original little plastic cases that the baits come in and I can just throw all of those in these containers. Thanks a bunch guys you have been a big help once again.

I have my swimbaits in a couple of plano 7080 XXL stowaway utility boxes. These boxes are large(17.5"x16"x5") and do not have any dividers to take up space. If you are using the baits to stick fish, they are gonna get teeth marks and hook rash, so no need to baby them. If your collecting them, keep them bubble wrapped in their original packs and keep them in some sort of large bin. I bought a large duffel bag to put all the plano boxes in for easier transport. Works fine for me. The boxes were around $10 each and hold a good many baits.

I use 3 style of boxes for baits.

The MXMECHANIC box for my soft baits, I have 3 of those. 2 of them with one bar in it for hudds, I think I have 7 or 8 hudds hanging in each one. The other box has 2 bars in it for 6" baits and smaller. I really like the quality and look of the material he uses for the bar and that I can move around the o-rings to setup the box how I like.

In my boat I have a couple of the big boy plano 7080 xxl. That box is huge and perfect for boats. I can keep all my baits in the clamshells they come in and just toss them into the box and go. They also fit in the compartments in the boat.

When I'm shore fishing I either use a plano 3731 or 3630, both fit in my backpack. If I'm not mistaken both boxes are the same size and depth. The difference is the 3731 is one big compartment with no dividers and the 3630 has 3 fixed dividers. The 3731 holds more baits but I like the 3630 at times when I don't want to make a lot of noise at night. The 3 fixed dividers keeps the bait divided and the hooks don't tangle, so I can easily swap a bait out without trying to untangle a mess. Both boxes hold the bigger baits as well including the the Born Again, OG Wake and 10" FS.

One other box I use and was stoked on finding was the plano 3504 spinnerbait box. I don't use the dividers so I can stack baits in their up to a BA. Where I use it is in my float tube, I have a Fish Cat 4 and needed a box or two for the side compartments. So far thats the best I've found. It fits perfect and I can get 5 hard baits into each one.

+1 on everything state by Echoedd. I like the 3731's for throwing in hard baits. Those 7080's are pretty big, you can fit a ton of baits in those. I've Mxmechanics bars and they are top notch, with the ability to move the o-rings to customize placement of the baits.

Personally haven't got into the lakewood boxes, but have heard good things.

Geoff