G loomis bbr 964c ???

ceelobrim

I am somewhat new to fishing swimbaits. I have a few lighter ones( no more than an oz no bigger than 6"softbaits) but would like to step into a more serious setup. Was wondering what some of the thoughts are on this rod for swimbaits? Pretty much committed on it and im putting a curado 200hg on it. Would 6"-8" swimbaits be ideal to use? Ill probably be maxing about 4.5oz lures.

Gloomis bbr964c mod-fast 1-6oz heavy eithier 7'6 or 8'0

The bbr rod series are rated by weight to use for back bouncing, that rod will be seriously overwhelmed by a 4.5 oz lure. What I have found is they cast well up to about 1/2 of what the rod is "rated" for. So up to about 3oz is good for that rod. I have the bbr series as well as the g loomis swimbait rods so I have and fish that Rod. The swimbait rod series is rated correctly for weight ranges. It does well with 6" hudds, 7+8" triple trouts, and similar size/ weight baits but I wouldn't even try to lobb an 8" Hudd at 4.2 oz. The 966bbr is best with 8" Hudds, and 9 to 12" ms slammers, 10" triple trout, up to about 5oz or so.

Edited by MrBadExample

The bbr's are ok for some baits,, but the IMX swimbait rods are awesome, you'll never look back. It really depends on what baits you're throwing, opposed to the length per say. I throw my negotiators on a 955, throw my heavier glide baits like the Phoney shad on a 957. The have far superior casting ability, and tons of hook setting power, some guys used to slower rods find them to be to fast for treble hook baits,, I've personally never had an issue. I've had several brands and models, most come and go, the Loomis' always stay.