Kayak Standing Bar for Big Bait throwing

biggfeast

For you kayak guys out there, I am getting my Moken 12.5 rigged up nicely to hopefully use it a lot more in the future. I shoudve bought a more stable kayak to begin with, but since I didn;t im trying to get this thing as stable as possible.

I wanted to know what your thoughts are on the "standing bar" for kayaks. I think itll be a good addition to lean up against when throwing the big baits, and also something to grab on to if big wakes from boats passing by happen to roll through.

Let me know if it's worth the investment or if its not really that helpful.

I am also planning to add some stabilizers/outriggers which should help a lot.

I too had the atak and didn't add the standing bar/seat either, I have a Diablo now and it's also very stable and not needed. I'm a fan of "less is more", I don't like anything extra to get line wrapped around while landing a fish.

Personally, I'd save the money you were gonna use on outriggers/standing bar, sell your current kayak and upgrade to something you feel more comfortable standing in. (If that's an option)

Edited by ETBA

I too had the atak and didn't add the standing bar/seat either, I have a Diablo now and it's also very stable and not needed. I'm a fan of "less is more", I don't like anything extra to get line wrapped around while landing a fish.

Picked up the Diablo Amigo earlier this week. Big fan so far. 

I wouldn't get one. It's an option for my Wilderness System ATAK, but you really don't need it. To me it is just anther thing that gets in the way. 

+1   IMO, it is just one more thing to get in the way of a hook set or net operation.

outriggers if you want it more stable, and a strap.

Got the outriggers and a standing leash to help pull myself up off the seat.

Gonna give this a go first, and then we shall see about the standing bar. I still like the idea of being able to place the paddle or a net on it while standing and fishing, but im gonna give it a go without it first to see if I really even need it.

Thanks for all your inputs guys.

I agree with what has already been said. It would be one more thing in the way in an already crowded space. It takes a while to get comfortable standing in a kayak because you are on a "live" surface but once you get your sea legs under you it becomes very natural. I stand in my Trident 13 all the time and it's not designed to be stood in. Practice, practice, practice.....

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update, I put the Scotty Kayak Stabilizers on my Moken 12.5 last week and took it out for a test spin last Saturday.

Made a HUGE difference for me. Was able to stand confidently with no problems at all. Definitely was a great investment imo.

I was able to cast my biggest baits with no problems at all.

Only Issue I had was the kayak getting blown around and not being able to grab the paddle or pull the anchor trolley easily from the stand up position. This is where the Stand up bar, or something higher up that holds the paddle could be beneficial, so you can grab it, make a few small paddles and be right back in position.

If anyone has any techniques with what they do while standing up to hold the kayak in place as the wind blows, feel free to inform me.

I don't want to get too off the swimbait topic, so you can PM me

Thanks!