Almost got a new PB

mcaetano2905

Hi everyone!

Today I caught my first bass on a glide bait. It was 4.96lb and it's the largest bass I caught in 14 years! Not a trophy for most of you who fish for florida strain bass, but here in Portugal bass are northern strain and it's difficult to find big bass because 99% of the anglers keep all the bass they catch. My PB is 5.07lb. So, today is a very special day for me! :D

I caught the bass on a S-Waver 168 in a bluegill color. I fsh only from the bank. I fished a 7" Slammer and a Spro King Daddy frog with no bites or followers. Then, I started fishing the S-Waver and I was fishing in the rocky dam of this very small lake... I made a cast to a place far from the bank and retrieved the lure along an "iron rod" with some small concrete pillars, that go under water. There were some weeds in this area too. I was fishing at a medium speed, with some twitches. When the lure was about 8ft from the bank I saw a big fish following it (by the way, I've had BY FAR more big followers on the S-Waver, just fishing it 4 or 5 days than I've had on any other lure). I don't know if it came from deeper water or from under a weed mat just 8ft from the bank. The fish looked at the lure. Then I twitched it. The fish only hit on the stop. It didn't seem to show much interest in the lure and moved and hit slowly. It didn't hit the hooks! I was frustrated. But I didn't gave up! The fish stayed in the shadow of the weed mat. I made another cast and made the lure swim in the same place as before. The same thing happened! It hit on the stop but no hookup! Then I made a 3rd cast. This time I retrieved the lure so it swimmed right into the shadow where the fish was. The fish looked at the lure. I twitched. Nothing. Then, on the stop she hits again slowly and this time I hooked it! The bass looked as if it was tired or not very active. Maybe a late spawner?! She gave almost no fight.  

Well, I'll admit it: until I took the fish out of the water I thought it was just a 2 lber! LOL

Now I want my new PB!!!

Hope you enjoy my detailed report and the picture. :)

2_250kg_15_07_2016_River2_Sea_S_Waver_16

Edited by mcaetano2905