UsING my swimbait gear for yellow tail

clh121787

Anyone with experience fishing yellow tail. I'm I'm going fishing for several days with one of my best friends from socal for yellowtail. They use yellow tail gear but I wanna bring my own stuff will my swim bait setup be too under powered I'm gonna bring my strongest xh custom a 400 te and an array of swimbaits. Triple trouts , glides, maybe some soft baits but I don't want to ruin them too fast what yall think

If you use that XH, then you should be ok.  Just don't try to horse them in.  If you're fishing Catalina, don't let them dive into any kelp stringers or you'll be diving for those swimbaits if they wrap you up....haha.

I used to throw mostly big tadys with 25-30 pound line on a Newell 338 for them on a 7-8 foot Seeker rod.  I don't really remember what the rod rating was, but I'm just guessing compared to a bass rod, it would be H or XH.

PS-Don't really jump in after any lost swimbaits and good luck!

Yellowtail man. These fish are not bass. You need power to bring these babies in. A reel with torque. If you get bit by a 40 lb yellowtail say bye bye. They will get in kelp or rock and break you off so fast. Not saying it can't be done but get a ocean setup. 40 lb mono or 65 lb braid to 50 lb floro kelp cutter. Little once you should be ok but why take the chance of breaking off a 40 to 50 lb yellow

You'll be fine on the average yellows and rats. The slugs might ruin your day, but hey its all in the name of fun right? Lol. I've got em on a lexa 400 and a daiwa dxsb xh, nothing huge but it was a ton of fun. They'll eat swimbaits, but you should definitely pick yourself up some Tady 45s and Salas 7xs. Yellows on the surface jigs is the bee knees.

You'll be fine on the average yellows and rats. The slugs might ruin your day, but hey its all in the name of fun right? Lol. I've got em on a lexa 400 and a daiwa dxsb xh, nothing huge but it was a ton of fun. They'll eat swimbaits, but you should definitely pick yourself up some Tady 45s and Salas 7xs. Yellows on the surface jigs is the bee knees.

This^^^^^^

If you guys are fishing patties in open water you'll be ok, It may take you forever to bring in a slug but you can do it. If you guys are fishing the islands, like mentioned above, you'll need the power to keep them from kelping or rocking you.

Here's one caught on a swimbait.........

PB%20YT_zpsg751enyh.jpg

I have a similar question i have a xxh ldc that doesnt get too much use. do you think that will be enough for the bigger ones or would i be better off getting a technique specific rod ive been looking at an avet reel to pair it with.

Sorry to jump on your thread man

Why not just fish a jerkbait and save a bunch of money when you break off? Or a Tady 45 or live bait...

but yes, your rod and reel will be fine. They are built on saltwater blanks and all shimano reels are good to go for the salt for the most part (except the core). 

Yeah Im definetly not bringing any hinkles or deps. Was thinking cheaper stuff like savage gear and big hammers. Spros slt. For bass fishing I've pretty much narrowed my baits down to 2 or 3 glides 2 and 3 soft baits and a few jointed hard baits. But I've got a pile of baits that I'll prolly never prefer over my go tos.

Yeah Im definetly not bringing any hinkles or deps. Was thinking cheaper stuff like savage gear and big hammers. Spros slt. For bass fishing I've pretty much narrowed my baits down to 2 or 3 glides 2 and 3 soft baits and a few jointed hard baits. But I've got a pile of baits that I'll prolly never prefer over my go tos.

I also used to use nothing but AA and Big Hammer when they first came out, ages ago.  They work great.  if you're fishing near rocks, throw them right into the wash because that's where Calicos are(if you're not going for yellows or they aren't around).

When you catch a big calico, you'll laugh at how largemouth and smallmouth fight compared to calicos.

If I were specifically targeting yellowtail in the summer, I would be using a tady 45, live sardine or live mackerel though.  But, that's just me.