Great day on the water

Craig

My wife and I were invited to fish a private lake. We could only get there about 2 hours after sunrise which was a pity. No wind and perfect water clarity, visibility down to about 6 feet.

I was soon getting followers on most of my swimbaits but no commitment. That’s perfect for a dating website but frustrating in the swimbait world.

After Sarah waved her 7th fat butterball bass in the 4-5lb range at me I succumbed and tied on a creaturebait.

post-24776-0-96895300-1472717465_thumb.jpg

We caught plenty of very decent fish but still nothing interested in biting the swimbaits.

At about 4pm the wind got up and I decided to give the Undertaker another good go.

Perfect Spot: there was a little island forming a nice saddle with a point about 200 yards away, a shallow ridge with deep water either side. I cast out from the island towards the point and worked the Undertaker slowly back. 2nd cast and I was rewarded with the sight of 3 good fish cruising after the bait. 3 casts later and I hooked into a fattie but she shook the hook quickly. Game on!

A short while later I though I got a good knock and raised the rod, Nothing! A few turns of the reel and some weigh so I set the hook. Nothing again, but this time not even the lure. I think the fish must have taken the Undertaker on the first knock but swimming towards me, second time must have been the feeling of the line meeting a rock as the break was about 10 yards up the line.

Trying to convince myself that that Undertaker was my least favourite I tied on another. If you are scared to loose a bait stay at home!

Boom! Perfect fat 5.5lb female smashes the Undertaker on the next cast!

post-24776-0-60491400-1472717440_thumb.jpg

I wish I could say I slayed them from then on but she was the only one I managed to land. Lost a few more that came unbuttoned but what a great day.

Thanks guys.

Nice fish Craig, but want to get this story straight, did the Ms put the beat down on you, sounds like it. Lol good to hear stories like that. Right on for the Ms.

She put the beat down on me for sure...again! She's a great angler and when the bite is tough she destroys me. She'll say to me "I've got a bite" I'll look at her and say "great" but in my mind I'll be saying "dream on..." then she lifts her rod and buckles into a fish...

Awesome report Craig...Nice shorts

Bud those shorts are legend. I actually cropped the photo because they have very dodgy looking mosquito netting (which I got from a bridal veil) sewed to the bottom to stop insects biting me behind my knees.

Edited by Craig