Starting Company: Lateral Minds

Gabethrowsswimbaits

Hey SU, recently I was scrolling through many various fishing clothing stores online looking for some holiday deals (ex. BigBassDreams + Bass Brigade). When doing this, it hit me that I should jump on the gun and do my own thing in clothing designs, specifically made for fisherman. When drawing up some logos, designs and whatnot, I had come to a name of Lateral Minds. Lateral Minds refer to the people, especially on SU, who all have that similar trophy hunting mindset. The company will consist of T-shirts, hats, sweatshirts, neck gaitors, etc. II have always been intrigued into doing this kind of work since I was a little kid. I will be pouring 110% effort, hard work, and determination into this.

Therefore I am just looking for any advice you guys could give on the company. If you guys know any good designers to help, good printing companies in the US, brand name ideas, changes to the designs below, likes and dislikes please let me know, all comments appreciated and will be looked at!

PS - I will leave some of the logo ideas I had drawn out on a picture attached. Please give honest opinions on themðŸ˜

If I was starting a company, I wouldn't post anything about it online to start until you're established. There's already probably an over-saturation of extremely similar design/ideals in the fishing industry right now, specifically clothing; my opinion. If you can bring something new to the table, then by all means its a worthwhile venture, not to sound like a nay-sayer. 

Clothing companies are great, if you're creative that's half the battle and you should have a giant margin to deal with; and in 2016 people pay 30$ all day for the right design on a cotton t-shirt. 

Lateral Minds, Lateral Vision, way too similar in my opinion.

You have an  idea to showcase a product specifically to a group of like-minded individuals, but whats the point? To make money? You may be thinking too narrow, look at the big successful fishing clothing companies, Saltlife for example; big demographic, big successful companies like that don't ever designate one demographic to appeal toward. A logo tee, like the design you attached more than likely will not sell right off the bat because it doesn't 'mean' anything, until you've established yourself. I was selling outdoor recreation clothing for about 16 months or so (not anymore) and really tried to understand what sells, and why. I'd like to start a venture someday, but it wouldn't probably be specific to fishing. The biggest step is establishing why you want to do it, if you want to put in 110% your motivation can't be " I was scrolling through many various fishing clothing stores online looking for some holiday deals (ex. BigBassDreams + Bass Brigade). When doing this, it hit me that I should jump on the gun and do my own thing in clothing designs, specifically made for fisherman."

Good luck in your venture!

Thank you Colby! And I have no idea when I created that name lateral vision didnt pop right in to my head lol! The input you have was very valuable! And the jumping the gun thing meant that I just wanted to put it out there, have been thinking about doing it for quite some time now, just not seriously.

Not interested in popping bubbles. I admire aggressive mindset, respect it, but business is hard. Roughly 1 in 5 fail. If you want to go for it then go for it. But not necessarily today. Only with money you can afford to lose. Only with time you can afford to spare. Make it secondary income, a hobby, if it blows up then run with it.

Be careful. I had a buddy going back couple decades had this great idea very much like yours. Nobody could talk him out of it. He went for it. Couple years ago I heard 3rd party he's living out of his car.