Castaic Lower Lagoon

neratomic

Has anyone recently fished the lower castaic lagoon? Are there still giant bass in there, or did the extreme water level drop from the last few years hurt the big bass population? Any advice or reports on the lagoon would be appreciated. 

I have fished it havent seen a double digit come out of there in years. Its not so much the water level fluctuations as it is that they are no longer stocking the lagoon. The word is we might get trout stocks again next fall. We will see. If the trout come back the big girls will grow again

Yeah, no more monsters. They couldn't sustain without the trout and died off. From what I understood they also put a nice sized dent in the bass population before dying off. 

Apparently, they stopped stocking the trout because there was a slight chance a stocked trout could escape, make it to another fishery several miles away and breed with another type of trout, which could harm the other fishery. Something to that nature. Whatever it was, it was a highly unlikely event. One in a million chance it could happen. So, basically, instead of building some sort of structure to prevent this from happening, they just quit the trout stocking and let all those big OLD fish die off. Destroying what was and should still be a world class fishery in the process.

Btw this is a terrible recounting of a very pleasant, long and informative conversation that I had about a month ago with a very generous and knowledgeable lifeguard at the lagoon who has been working there for 16+ years if I remember correctly.  He said used to take the pics of Butch with those big stringers. 

All that said, there are some very nice fish in there and they are growing--just not as fast as they would with regular trout stockings. I hooked into one pushing DD this summer but lost her due to a shitty knot. And I've seen others around that size too. I'm no biologist and I'm not a very good fisherman, but I feel like this place will be a good(not great or world class) fishery again in the next few years.

How do you know there's no more +13 pound bass in this lake?Maybe bass that big exist in that lake but have gotten much,much more difficult to catch.There are lakes down here in South Florida where there are +13 pound bass,but they are almost impossible to catch.They are rarely seen besides when they are spawning, or when you go diving in a lake.

3.5lb - 7lbs is the range they are at. yes there are some bigger ones in there but not the giants that everyone expects watching old youtube vids. still a fun little lake to play around in. if they would get the launch fixed once and for all id be nice to put the lil boat in there without them yelling at me for draggin it to the water :mrgreen:

• 4 weeks later...