DOBYNS CHAMP XP OR DOBYNS CHAMPION

Zealandhunter

I need help with a decision. I am going to get either the dobyns champion XP or just the dobyns champion Ultra Mag. I dont know what the difference is between the XP or not. Is there any major difference between the two, is one better than the other for big baits? thanks!

Get the Xp. Its the newer updated line. As stated the guides are different. The old Kigan guides have had a number of insert problems and they were replacing them left and right. I wouldnt hesitate to take the regular model at discount though. All my kigan guides are holding up fine.

I got a 908 xp and haven't fished it yet but the rods I have with fuji guides are great.  I heard the normal champion guides "squeak/squel?" Like everything sounds like braid through the guides? I'm not too sure about that and I doubt it affects anything but you can still never go wrong with a dobyns.

I got a 908 xp and haven't fished it yet but the rods I have with fuji guides are great.  I heard the normal champion guides "squeak/squel?" Like everything sounds like braid through the guides? I'm not too sure about that and I doubt it affects anything but you can still never go wrong with a dobyns.

Just curious, where do you "hear" all these things you write about?

I will take a guess, he reads them here and other sites.

I have been reading this site a lot longer, as well as others.  I have been fishing Dobyns for a few years now.  I have never heard of the guides being squeaky or seen anyone post that.  I'm sure there's a chance I've overlooked those statements, after all it is the internet. I am completely aware of the Kigan issue with inserts falling out. None of mine have done that to this day. 

I have been reading this site a lot longer, as well as others.  I have been fishing Dobyns for a few years now.  I have never heard of the guides being squeaky or seen anyone post that.  I'm sure there's a chance I've overlooked those statements, after all it is the internet. I am completely aware of the Kigan issue with inserts falling out. None of mine have done that to this day. 

Mark, I may be wrong but I believe Jack is talking about a thread on the Dobyns 908 XP started awhile back by Jesse (mossypumpkin). http://swimbaitunderground.com/forums/index.php?/topic/35140-dobyns-908-info/page-2 There is a little bit of discussion on the second page about the fuji guides being "loud" but I only remember this because I was interested in that particular model myself lol. Hope that helps!

To address the original topic, yes I think I would go with the XP line after hearing what everyone has to say about them. I've never owned a Dobyns rod before (very soon though!), but from what it sounds like you can't go wrong either way. I guess it's just personal preference. Tackle warehouse has the original champions on sale if you're interested.

Dobyns is a great choice, and I believe they have made sound decisions to benefit us all.  They moved away from the champion series to the champion xp series to better serve their customer and their very loyal customers.

I know this may sound biased, but before all these manufactures existed I tried every rod out there.  I was never happy.  My buddy introduced me to Dobyns and I never looked back.  Why fix whats not broken is my motto.

I have been a loyal Dobyns angler for over 12 years now.  All my rods are champion series, and slowly changing them to the champion xp series.  I have their entire line of swimbait rods dating back to the gen1 series, along with a couple of their frog rods and beefy spinning rods.

I have had over 25 champion series rods, and only 2 had issues with the guide.  1 was user error - I stepped on it when it was on the deck of the boat.

Do yourself a favor and go the xp series unless you are buying 2 champion series rods.  Once you break a guide, you may be down a rod.  I had the same experience.

Hope this helps!

:)

* FYI they also changed blank manufactures to better serve their customers (who remembers that?)

Edited by T Dot