Guided trips

Jetfisherjohn

I think I can comment on this, as I've seen and had conversations with just about every guide on the delta. IMO the best Delta guide is Bobby Barrack, not only does he know more than other guides (again this is preference, and I should also mention that all of my options know the delta extensively), but he will critique every move you make, every cast you take. He's all about preparation and the mechanics. I went on a trip with him and I can honestly say that he made me a better fisherman. Other great option include Cooch, Matt Allen, and Randy Pringle. 

I wouldn't use a hudd on the delta..last choice actually..pick up some weedless rising sons, mission fish, or even a smaller Rago weedless you could rig with an 8/0 beast..glide shads or even a matt shad..those are the bites on the delta in November..if you're hitting in the early morning do yourself a favor and bring a frog and buzzbait..if you really want swimbait only make sure you can rip a wake, punker or my fav the Rago poppa walka..Nov is tough..don't expect lots of swim bite but if your persistent u may get that one big one

What exactly makes the fishing tough out there, especially the hudd bite? I've seen guys fish out on different lakes out there and they all say, this lake is the best in this month for this bait.. How does that even Happen

What exactly makes the fishing tough out there, especially the hudd bite? I've seen guys fish out on different lakes out there and they all say, this lake is the best in this month for this bait.. How does that even Happen

You said the delta? Did you book clear lake? Makes more sense if you booked bailey on CL..the delta is a tidal river system

You said the delta? Did you book clear lake? Makes more sense if you booked bailey on CL..the delta is a tidal river system

Sounds like Clear Lake...either way, Paul and Matt Newman made some pretty cool videos on fishing their hudds with Stoked on Fishing that you may want to look into. They're up on YouTube. Look for the "World Record Bass" or Clear Lake videos.

https://www.youtube.com/user/StokedOnFishing/videos

Manny chee woulD be awesome. Paul in Clearlake would be a blast too.

I've been out with both and I am happy to discuss my experiences..

Feel free to inbox me and I will send you my number.. (for Johnny or anyone else that wants to know)

Too much to type..

I had one guy do it to me on the Delta and another on Casitas before I left Cali. Ross England did not fish in front of me on CL until I asked him to join me. Rod Thigpen did not fish in front of me on Casitas. The 2 times it happened I was frustrated and did not feel like I had a guide but rather got the backseat. One of the guys is recommended here for the Delta But I will not say who, he is a great guy and I do not feel its appropriate. Just saying it happened and I know others who its happened to as well.

No, not the delta. I booked Paul for clear lake. No clue why I put the delta. Was thinking about a different trip.

This may be a bit off-topic but it goes along with a guided trip. In time I would like to go on a guided trip but often wondered what is a customary "tip" for a guide. You are already paying 3,4,500 for a trip, how much more is expected?

I have a friend who guides and tho I don't have a specific dollar answer I would take a few things into consideration..the biggest would be did I learn something..

Fishing out of state with a guide on a one time shot is probably the better way to go but is the guide putting you on fish or is he teaching you how to find the fish? What to look for, what bait for what situation, help you with presentation, etc

If this was my home water I would prefer that my guide show me how he would approach it for whatever season I was in..productive patterns etc etc..

I would be stoked if a guided trip broke my pb..but I would be more stoked if I was able to do it repeatedly wroth tactics I learned while on the trip..

If you feel your guide was an effective teacher and you actually learned something rather than just paid to catch a big fish I would tip accordingly.