Usually don't mess with the tourney scene to much anymore. When I qualified early for the Swimbait Underground Battle I needed something to keep me tuned in the rest of the year. That's when I decided to hit a few tournaments just to see if I still had game. (since I'm a old fart) and also being a boat capitan for the High School Team for the year, it has occupied my time well.

Ending the 2016 year was a good tournament year for me but not so much for the DD bass compared to last year. Last year was a freak year and I knew that. Fishing for 5 good fish is a little different mind set than fishing for one trophy fish.  We can attribute that to not having as many DD bass, it's just a different game.  With five nice bass in the over column this year so far and very grateful for that.  More 7-9's bit and I'm not complaining one bit. These kept me plenty busy with the swimbait. There were grind it out days and very easy days you just had to stay at it.  All in all it was fun time!

Here are some bag weights from 2016 all swimbait fish. 

Baits used:

Triple trout, 3:16 mission fish, 3:16 weedlessrising son, Rising son,  3:16 Bluegill glide, 3:16 Gizzard Glide, 3:16 Workhorse Glide, 3:16 Minnow, 3:16 FS Trout, 3:16 FS Shad, 3:16 Wakes

Note: anytime I needed a fish the 7" Shad Mission fish paid off every single time.

Rod Choice:

Moam Psycho 8'6", Moam Psycho 8'3", Moam Lunatic 8'3", Moam Maniac 8'

Reel Choice:

Abu Garcia Toro Beast, Abu Garcia Beast , Shimano Conquest 300, Shimano 300 D

with 102mm swept  Hawgtec carbon handles and Winn grips

Line Choice:

Sunline Shooter 30lb. and Seaguar Invis-x floura 20-25lb

Big Bass Board:

Working Class Zero

Gear:

Swimbait Underground, Moam Performance apparel, Huk

post-22600-0-72278100-1482371903_thumb.jpg

Makin' me want to move to Texas! Always on em Chris. Awesome work. Are those High School kids into the swimbaits too? 

Trevor,

My deal with the High School Guys was put in the time learning practice time /mapping/being on point/ don't quit during the day etc.....Then we will get into the swimbait aspect. My main goal was to have the grasp the tourney scene and bass fishing in general then proceed. They had know clue what goes into this.  They laugh now, that they thought they were in shape until 1/2 way through the first tournament their legs were gone. LOL, We did fight 20-25mph winds all day and that didn't help. They ask how do you do this all the time. It's just part of it boys I replied.

By the third tournament they shown me enough to let them go with the Rising son and minnow. The west division itself pushes 300 teams at each tournament and they placed 7th. They were also top team of 28 from our school that day. They fish hard and its been a great experience for all of us. When we stop now they are up and on the trolling motor now like they have been doing it for years. Great to watch them grow in the sport. We have a lot of fun and they are doing well with 2 tournaments to go for regional then on to the state championship.