Swimbait Fisherman in the Northeast

willdeblois90

What's up guys?

First of all I am a beginner to swimbait fishing so my questions as of right now are endless! One thing I'm curious about is what type of baits are you guys in the Northeast region throwing? I live in Northern Delaware and trying to figure out the best route to go. I pretty much have made my mind up on reel and rod selection but baits I'm still up in the air. I think I have narrowed it down to the Calcutta VS Curado, just not sure because of the difference in gear ratio.

What patterns seem to work best for you? I'm thinking about purchasing some bluegill, shad, and shiner pattern swimbaits, any other recommendations?

What sizes are you using? Most of the baits I'm looking at are in the 2-3 oz range, how often are you throwing anything bigger?

Are you throwing more soft or hard baits?

Any info/advice I can get is much appreciated!

I only really started this year but I'd recommend getting some Hudd 68's and some bluegill imitations like Mattlures, Jackal Gantarel etc. Real prey makes some really nice soft plastic swimbaits that are very durable in perch and shiner imitations, check them out. Also make sure to get a rat! 

Last year was my first year too and it couldn't have gone better, the quality of fish I caught went up by a large margin. You have to find baits that you like to fish since there are so many different styles out there. I've found that I love to fish topwater wakebaits like baby wakes, Slammer's, and rat baits. I also have found big glides to be effective such as the Hiroshima 8.5. Get ready to spend more many than you'd like. Also real prey Joe makes awesome durable baits

I'm from Chester County PA just north of you and would recommend getting some 68 Hudds and a cheap glide like a savage gear. But, don't be afraid to throw bigger baits. I gotta 7 pounder on an 8 inch hudd in August 2016 at a pond so anythings possible. All you need a little confidence and determination.

I'm from Chester County PA just north of you and would recommend getting some 68 Hudds and a cheap glide like a savage gear. But, don't be afraid to throw bigger baits. I gotta 7 pounder on an 8 inch hudd in August 2016 at a pond so anythings possible. All you need a little confidence and determination.

7 is big over there man! 

Got a pic?

Hey Man, Im in lower slower De towards the beaches and all I've fished the last two years have been SB's besides a few frog fish. I promise the bass here eat all the same baits you see guys catching on elsewhere. I grew up in Az throwing some big baits but didn't have much confidence throwing them out here in these mud puddles and dropped it for a while. I've had way more fun the last two years knowing that every strike (other then frkn pickerel!) could be a new personal best rather than typical Senko, trap, crank bites.

Like has been written on here a ton, start with the basics. 7"& 9" Slammers, Spro 50 rats, hudds and a couple 8"-10 glides are all you need. My absolute three best baits here are a Pizz shadley, 9" slammer, and my fav, the Derps 250 slide swimmer. The one thing you can not buy, but the most important, is confidence it will work. I don't believe that one word is emphasized near enough. My largest De bass this year was a certified 8#, three 7#s and 20 plus 5-6#ers. Let me know if you ever want to get out.

Jason

I have a couple of Fury 795's a Shimano Crucial 1-3oz H, and getting a 7'9 Muse Black. 795's have the Lews BB2 Wide Spools on them and they have been great so far. For what you're trying to do I believe you'd be in good shape with any of the set ups I have. I throw nothing larger than the 175, Negotiator, Slammer (7-9) inch, baby wakes, 68's and 6 inch Hudds, Osprey 7-9 inch...The Curado would be fine too.

I prefer the low profile reels to round reels but that's just personal preference. I do have a Cardiff 200A on my Crucial and I throw my Hudds and soft baits on it. Good luck and have fun!

Edited by SKSlide

I'm in central MD.  Had some issues with confidence this year as I always brought my back up rod with a frog or whopper plopper.  Once I started leaving those behind I had some real good success on all the Spro Rat sizes and did ok on the Lunker Punker, Jackall Gantarel, and some other generic glides.  I bought a wake jr, pats perch, and a cl8 possum for this coming year.  Will try some slow glides and rats for pickerel during the winter.