Dream Bait

Nolan Aker

Dream baits are somewhat useless or just a bait that you dream that would work for you. dream baits are baits that are hard to acquire or a bait you finally get and find out it doesn't work out for you and you eventually sell it. I have a lot of baits because of trying to find that dream bait, and eventually you find out the baits that works for me is I already have it. But the catch is you have to buy baits until you find those few baits that works for you. Then you have all these other baits that will be sold or will just collect dust. WorkingclassZero made a great article that fits what I'm talking about. Because it's so true.

I think the will/want for a bait to work far outweighs the inherent fish catching value of the bait in most cases.

Which is a novel consideration for guys new to the game. 

Crude baits catch big ass fish too, take that from a guy that scrapes the paint off baits so they dont flash, and carefully balances every aspect of a glide bait, and replaces stock hardware, and shaves joints, and thinks that throwing a 4oz bait on 12lb fluoro is reasonable if you can get the bait to do something special, the guy who curses himself in the back of his head because he forget two different kinds of scent regardless of the thousands of fish that have been caught without it....

He's his own worst enemy, but he does believe will/want trump most everything eventually.

in my short time i've had a lot of "dream baits" change hands through deals. HPHs, Mothers, Hinkle Trout, Pats, 3:16s, Hiroshima's.... Some of which i kick myself for getting rid of, but thats just the collector in me. When i think back i often realize that i got rid of those baits (a lot on impulse) because i wasn't using them and wanted what the other guy was offering. Probably thousands of dollars just to experiment and put it back in the box.

And now here i am preparing for my third swimbait season with 3 boxes full of wooden plugs, Triple Trouts, and gill baits. Not the flashiest or most expensive, but baits that i have confidence in and will get bit. 

Where i'm at now, the Single Joint 9" MS Slammer in a diving model is my "dream bait". I can work it fast, slow, over weeds, off timber, grind it off the bottom, wake it at night, and twitch it in place better than almost any other bait. And the best part is they're durable, cheap (for a swimbait), and Mike has great customer support. If i could only have one, this would be it. 

Dream baits are somewhat useless or just a bait that you dream that would work for you. dream baits are baits that are hard to acquire or a bait you finally get and find out it doesn't work out for you and you eventually sell it. I have a lot of baits because of trying to find that dream bait, and eventually you find out the baits that works for me is I already have it. But the catch is you have to buy baits until you find those few baits that works for you. Then you have all these other baits that will be sold or will just collect dust. WorkingclassZero made a great article that fits what I'm talking about. Because it's so true.

true but not always true.Imo there is no magic bait but there's also no bait that just magically won't get bit.It either performs or it doesn't.My dream bait that took me years to get performed exactly as expected.And I've caught tons of fish on it.So that rule may apply to some but not all