Do Bass Think Rats Are Rats?

Nolan Aker

I discovered a lake whose bass luv the baby possum and I caught my pb on it last year. You can't even fish place at night cuz beavers chase u off. I have also seen otters at the ramp around trout stocking....The bass know what's up imo. Muskrats are also common in many waters, I don't think they are bass friends either.

Lol, we got some angry ones in my area the meat eating kind.....When the beavers sound the alarm with a splash it is game over for the bass bite imo. If you want to stay on the water best thing to do is chase beaver in boat, it scares em away.

Edited by bigpoppabass

I will share with you guys that Bass certainly know rats are rats when it's raining.When heavy rain comes down many low lying areas near a body of water are subject to minor/moderate flooding which forces many rodents to move looking for uncompromised places to shelter themselves until finding a permanent home. Rodents will enter the water in order to flee the flooded area and Big Bass associate big rains like a dinner bell.Easy meals that don't require a lot of energy to attain.Like picking low hanging fruit that will keep them full and happy for a day or two.

So while it may not be the most popular or comfortable time to fish, break out your rats when rainy season starts in your area and enjoy those unforgettable toilet flushes that occur when a bass inhales a rat and goes straight down with it! Your photos might come out crappy but the results will speak for themselves. Rain=Rats

I do this all the time!!!  I had the exact same thought process when I came up to one of my little local ponds and i saw that the neighboring agriculture fields were draining into the pond through some culvert pipes...

I would cast into the current and retrieve my rat as it swung out of the current like in a stream per say.  Thinking it would imitate a gopher being forced out of its home from the flooded field and washed into the pond by the current and now its trying to swim to shore like escaping a rip current.

We have been having storm after storm here on the central coast of CA.  My local reservoirs are rising at an alarming rate (one came up 50+ vertical feet in less than a week). I took advantage of a break in the rain and was able to get a hungry rat eater at night.  I feel rats are very underestimated baits.  My bbz and DS rat are 2 of my top 5 baits.  They produce for me all year and at all times of the day and night!!

If you do not have one I strongly suggest you pick up at least an inexpensive SPRO rat and spend a day/night throwing just it.  I believe you will be surprised!!