Keeper Glide

danthefisherman

Dan-I have been going back this this post since you started it...From the beginning I have been super impressed but the detail and use of minimal tools. Really show your talent and patience on your bait. I keep going back to see the additional progress and every time even more impressed. Really gives motivation to any guy who wants to try making his own bait.

Keep up the killer work man!

Edited by LUV-2-CATCH'EM

Update: Yesterday I finally got the bait perfectly weighted and ready for one last test session (hopefully)! Threw her out for a swim at the lake, got one good glide out of her, and then the tuning weights fell out. I forgot to bring my ballast weights with me, but it's a good thing I took pictures of the amount and location of installed weight otherwise I would have nothing to go by haha

Dan-I have been going back this this post since you started it...From the beginning I have been super impressed but the detail and use of minimal tools. Really show your talent and patience on your bait. I keep going back to see the additional progress and every time even more impressed. Really gives motivation to any guy who wants to try making his own bait.

Keep up the killer work man!

Hey Justin, thank you so much for the encouraging words! It really motivates me to do my best and excel with what I have when guys say that they find inspiration to give baitmaking a go in and from my work. This is a big part of the baitmaking appeal for me...being able to share the building process with fishermen around the world and integrate their feedback into my work. I think it's awesome and consider this whole endeavor as a collaborative effort.

I love your soft baits btw! Very unique and refined...plus guys are catching on them, so that's even better! Keep up the good work!

I'm in the process of discovering just how hard it is to consistently tune a glide haha. This bait loves to blow out with each sharp snap of the rod!

I've been testing different amounts and placements of ballast weight, but now there are so many holes in my first prototype that I was forced to pour another one yesterday. Also decided that I need some sort of testing pool so that I don't have to take a trip out to the lake between every new tuning session. The bathtub isn't quite big enough lol

But I will persevere! All the struggle will be way worth it in the end!

post-23790-0-36680300-1505443705_thumb.jpg

post-23790-0-72503900-1505443822_thumb.jpg

post-23790-0-51630000-1505443834_thumb.jpg

post-23790-0-98412200-1505443850_thumb.jpg

post-23790-0-74533200-1505443884_thumb.jpg

post-23790-0-21279700-1505443894_thumb.jpg

post-23790-0-22714000-1505443932_thumb.jpg

post-23790-0-84847000-1505443953_thumb.jpg

post-23790-0-33163900-1505443963_thumb.jpg

post-23790-0-31591400-1505443974_thumb.jpg

Agree with Ryan, that mold is awesome! Wish I had some solid advice. Maybe put the joint further back so the body is bigger/tail smaller ? I got really lucky with mine, it glides better than most of my purchased baits, now can I duplicate it?

Have you tried different combinations of tungsten powder and micro-balloons for the top/bottom of the bait? I haven't used tungsten powder, but one technique I've used with success is pouring approximately half the bait with resin only (which is naturally more dense than water), letting that cure, then pouring the remainder of the bait with micro-balloons mixed in. This gives the bait a natural ballast with no additional weights necessary! It takes several pours to get it right, so if you try this method, make sure you take note of the proportions you use each pour so you can zero in on a good ratio.

Agree with Ryan, that mold is awesome! Wish I had some solid advice. Maybe put the joint further back so the body is bigger/tail smaller ? I got really lucky with mine, it glides better than most of my purchased baits, now can I duplicate it?

Hmmm maybe I'll have to try this. When I was designing the bait I did note that many glides have shorter tails and longer head sections, but then there are others with joints in the middle or even further towards the head. I ended up placing the joint a little behind the midpoint. What I'm trying to figure out is if the problem is with my joint or with my ballast... which could make all the difference in my next course of action

Dude, I really like your glide Jeff! Are they only personal baits or do you make them available for people?

Edited by danthefisherman

Have you tried different combinations of tungsten powder and micro-balloons for the top/bottom of the bait? I haven't used tungsten powder, but one technique I've used with success is pouring approximately half the bait with resin only (which is naturally more dense than water), letting that cure, then pouring the remainder of the bait with micro-balloons mixed in. This gives the bait a natural ballast with no additional weights necessary! It takes several pours to get it right, so if you try this method, make sure you take note of the proportions you use each pour so you can zero in on a good ratio.

Hey Sean!

No, I have not tried tungsten powder. It sounds expensive and complicated haha.

I've received multiple comments recommending the pure resin ballast method but haven't actually tried it out yet. My main concern is whether the change in densities would weaken the bait's structural integrity and if I would be able to pour a smooth transition or not. If you can shed some light on whether my concerns are legit that would be great!

If standard tuning fails all together, I will definitely look into this. Thanks for your input!

Hey Sean!

No, I have not tried tungsten powder. It sounds expensive and complicated haha.

I've received multiple comments recommending the pure resin ballast method but haven't actually tried it out yet. My main concern is whether the change in densities would weaken the bait's structural integrity and if I would be able to pour a smooth transition or not. If you can shed some light on whether my concerns are legit that would be great!

If standard tuning fails all together, I will definitely look into this. Thanks for your input!

In my experience, I've never had an issue with the bait failing at the transition. Resin does a pretty good job adhering to resin. I typically pour the bottom half, wait until it's almost cured, then pour the second half. I never remove the bait from the mold. This will help keep the transition smooth. Pouring the top half while the bottom half is 90% cured also helps. It's hard enough at that point to prevent too much mixing, but soft enough for both pieces to become one.

In my experience, I've never had an issue with the bait failing at the transition. Resin does a pretty good job adhering to resin. I typically pour the bottom half, wait until it's almost cured, then pour the second half. I never remove the bait from the mold. This will help keep the transition smooth. Pouring the top half while the bottom half is 90% cured also helps. It's hard enough at that point to prevent too much mixing, but soft enough for both pieces to become one.

Good to know, thanks Sean! The resin I am currently using cures pretty fast so it might make things difficult, but I have access to some slow set resin too so maybe that will be easier to start with

• 4 weeks later...