Anybody into stocks?

buttaluns

Are stocks a safe place to have your money the way the countrys going today?

Nope...cash is where it's at right now. :geek: The stock market hit 13000 today, but it's perched upon the most unstable economy we have ever had. It's 13000 on it's way back to 8000 because that's all it's worth in reality...

Plenty of great stocks out there with good dividends. Go with reputable companies with good earnings, that pay dividends and a history of success.

Are stocks a safe place to have your money the way the countrys going today?

Nope...cash is where it's at right now. :geek: The stock market hit 13000 today, but it's perched upon the most unstable economy we have ever had. It's 13000 on it's way back to 8000 because that's all it's worth in reality...

Look at the last 6 months or year on these stocks and show me where its unstable....

Just an idea of if you do some research companies that are thriving......

Stable! Yah right. Gas on it's way to $5/gal...today my company, a very big consumer products company announce 5700 jobs gone over the next year....ish we make stuff people need everyday and if they're cutting back on that stuff it's not a good sign of thing to come...

There is a false sense of stability out there, the real economy is teetering on the edge of collapse. I guess I'm more cautious than most (ok and pessimistic). But I'm not seeing a turn around anytime soon. My house is worth about $60k less than I bought it for. It's just not adding up. Smells of funny money! LOL

How does one even begin to mess with the stock market or start out?

First off, have some cash you don't need. Doesn't matter if it's $100 or $5000, but I wouldn't recommend starting out, getting a feel for things, etc. with any money that you're going to be afraid to lose. It makes it way too stressful if you're counting on turning this $500 into $750 to make next months rent. When I started out I had an attitude like, I'm a kid... if I screw up, whenever I lose money, I have 40-50yrs of working life ahead of me to make it back.

Open an online brokerage account. There are a bunch of options. My opinion is that Schwab is the easiest for someone new. Their site isn't as full featured as say eTrade, but that does make it a lot easier to stay on task, not get overwhelmed, and find what you're looking for easily. They don't charge you anything except transaction fees when buying or selling. The fee varies on the value of your account and the frequency you trade. I believe it's $14.95 or $9.95.

Read. Learn what actually determines the value of a stock. A $300 share price doesn't necessarily make a stock expensive. Understand what the key metrics you see on say, Yahoo Finances page for a given stock. Be sure you're aware of how capital gains or losses affect your taxes. There is a lot out there to learn, and you can make it as complicated as you want. You have to figure out for yourself, beyond the basics, how far do you want to take it, how technical do you want to get?

I might suggest creating a portfolio on Yahoo Finance, or Google Finance. You can basically practice trading, build some confidence, make some mistakes, without losing any actual money.

And honestly, you'll get two very different points of view about this, but I'd recommend watching Jim Cramers show on CNBC, Mad Money. Some people love him, some hate him. He is slightly crazy, but I find him very entertaining. I've never looked at his show as "turn on the tv for an hour, buy what I say to buy, and get rich." That's not how this thing works. I suggest watching it because he understands markets as well as anyone, and is able to "dumb it down" for the average person. I'd never buy anything or sell anything on his recommendation. But especially for someone new, you can learn a good bit of the when/how/why markets and individual stocks function the way they do. You'll know quickly whether his schtick is for you or not. In my opinion, the people that hate him take him too seriously, or think he takes himself too seriously.

When I first got into it, I was a kid in highschool. My mom made me hand over money I made at a summer job so she could put it into a roth she opened in my name. I wasn't really happy about it at the time, but 10yrs later, I can't thank her enough.

GMX resource(s) not sure which it is. I have heard that stock is super cheap and has risen quite a bit in the recent past. It is an oil field related company. I am actually working on one of thier sites now (should be working) and heard they had a pretty decent jump in the stock. Not sure how much. I work for halliburton and I know our stock has risen right around $8-10 a share since July. I believe it was 27 in July now its floating around 35-37. Just a thought for u not really into stocks myself. The GMX one is under 10 I think not sure though.

Jeremy

MNbassbuster I think is on to something with oil and gas drilling stocks. Most of the sector is low. Most of the companies seem undervalued to me. Low PE ratios and near 52 week lows. I think people are gonna get tired of 5$ gas really quick and there will be more drilling domestically. I just recently started dabbling for myself (used to follow it with my dad when I was a kid) and Haliburton was my #1 pick. I'm looking at alcoa next which is a big aluminum producing company which has been down off its highs but has been starting to make a comeback recently it seems.

Alot of the big names I looked at are at or near their 52 week high. (Intel, Apple, Exxon, McDonalds, Pepsi, Coke, IBM all the big names). I think there is gonna be a pull-back here soon. I will probly drop a few bucks in if/when that happens.

• 1 month later...

NVIV is a pretty interesting stock. I bought into it about 3 months ago. They are on the brink of a scaffolding device for paralysis. Now they just have to get cleared by the FDA and they can start human test. I think this stock will double later this year.

Also CAT is another good company with a strong dividend.

Just my .02, by no means do i consider myself a pro