short handle rod rec

bucketz21

Apologies if this has been covered before, i've lurked a long while and have done some searching but may have missed.  if so a link to a thread would be great.

I throw lots of free style shads, wake jrs, 178 sized glide baits and mostly smaller hudds/soft 3:16s down deep.  Pretty exclusively 1- 4 oz.  I've thrown them all on either a crummy mag heavy rated to 2 oz, or an okuma guide select.  i really hate the long swimbait handles while working baits, and throwing up to 4oz baits all day is no problem from a fatigue or casting standpoint without a long handle.  Does anyone have a suggestion for a light swimbait rod, or a capable mag heavy casting rod that can handle these baits with the more typical 13-15" max handle length?  Any input appreciated, thanks.

TW claims they're all measured from top of foregrips.

irod jr swimbait 17" with very minimal foregrip and the fury 20.5" with ample foregrip/threading seems from the eye test as if they'd be within an inch or so of each other as far as rear grip.  Both look like good, 1-4 oz, under 7'10" options with reasonably short rear grips.  will definitely look into both further, haven't followed who's come out with what as closely the last couple years.  also hadn't considered adapting a rod designed for a larger species, will have to check into some of those too.  Thanks, and more suggestions welcome!

Edited by bucketz21

If no one does before I get to it I can measure the irod handle later today

I dedicate my swimbait Irods to top water walking techniques..I feel they have the backbone for heavy braid Hooksets and are responsive enough to walk baits and the handle stays out of the way..for other techniques with big baits over 6oz+ I'd say you need a long handle..

dobyns fury?

The 7'9" fury has a 20.5" handle listed on TW..I don't have one so is this from the rear grip or including the reel seat?

To me, the handle feels a little long to work topwater baits effectively. It seems to be more of a cast and wind type of rod and has a pretty soft action more suitable for subsurface treble baits. I'm not that big though so maybe it's not too long of a handle for some haha