Best pond glide bait???

jakejenkins

Try to match the profile of the bait fish in your pond...

This is spot on. The big thing I always try and decide upon is shad or gill bait. I have also found ponds where I cannot get bit on big baits for the life of me. Often times were there is no grass and in the summer time. At that point, I will swap over to crayfish imitators. Just pay attention to the birds.

Some pond fish can be finicky. But once you figure them out, you can hammer them. 

For shad, HPH.  For gills, its the 316 FS SS gill, or 6" RS bottom hook.

What kind of structure and cover in your ponds can also dictate what may work. In the mill ponds I fish you can barley fish a bottom bait because of pond snot, especially this year with how warm it's been. Even glide baits, which are my main trophy baits, can be a pain in the ass, because just one strand of grass or snot ruins the cast. But I also believe they have the best draw/strike capability. Billed wake baits like slammers, Mikey's, etc.. are awesome for sparse grass and pads for the fact the bill kinda pushes grass and deflects brush.

The snag factor really does suck from shore. Mainly because of the places you have to cast to get hit, which is often parallel to shore, into, over, and through to get those reaction strikes. I have, on more than five occasions, had to cut my line and tie it to a bottle or branch so I could get my kayak to retrieve baits. Often times I believe it's more the size of bait and where you cast to than what you actually throw, as long as that baits action isn't impaired. Start with the recommendations from these guys, and be confident that the suggestions given here will work. Good luck Bud, there is not much better, in my opinion, than a swimbait bite. And don't believe anything about a Slammer being a one fish a day bait! Probably too much info about stuff you didn't ask about, just what I have learned by spending way too much, for never enough, the the last few years.

I am hoping once the weather warms some that the Baby Hard Gill and the Deps Buzzjet will be big pond producers for me as well as the 175 and 168 Swaver. All should work well.  I whacked em on the Megabass Eeler last summer in ponds. They eat that bait very well ! Did for me at least!

I will say that the only two times I've been this Winter I've caught a total of 11 fish and they were all on a War Eagle spinnerbait. I tried the baby hard gill, 175, 168, regular hard gill....nothing on those. I wanted to catch fish on them but no dice. So I grabbed the spinnerbait rod and it was on.  I love the blade!!