Original Castaic Baby Bass Hardbait Question

volcomswimbaiter

Hi anglers! I have a question for you swimbait guru's here. I have a Original Castaic Baby Bass Hard swim bait from back in the days.. This was purchased brand new when they first came out. It has not been fished. Kept in a climate controlled cabinet. It is still in brand new condition. The soft tail and fins are not cracked or hard. Still soft and pliable. With original box and write up in new condition. This is a very rare bait for the Bass enthusiast. I looked around and I see 1 or 2 original Castaic Hard Baits selling on eBay for upwards of $750.00. My question to you guru's here is, what do you think this Castaic Baby Bass is worth at a reasonable selling price? I'm looking to sell it and was curious where to start. I think this bait is 25+ years in age. Please check out my photos below. Any thoughts or comments welcomed! Thanks and tight lines!

Regards,

Pete

IMG_9713_zpsfmssutk9.jpg

IMG_9714_zpsjnw0qzwl.jpg

IMG_9715_zpswxubkkc9.jpg

IMG_9716_zpst7uxlnxj.jpg

IMG_9717_zpshmx03kwp.jpg

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but when these little bass come up on eBay they are usually around $30 - $40.  I bought one years ago and the paint chipped after an hour.  Plus they do not swim well at all.  The expensive Castaics are the really early ones (chubby cheeks, etc) from the Chomp was around.  The quality of Castaic baits went downhill fast at some point.  These little bass are closer in quality to the T-29 baits than the original fat trout.  There is a good history of Castaic baits on the Huddleston website (check the museum section) as well as the old Castaics on the "Don's Baits" website.

The $700 Castaics are not only the original design but also the rare colors.  The more common rainbow color in that model usually runs about $200-$300.

There was a time when they went for $250.00 - $300.00. I am surprised they are so cheap now. I have caught plenty of fish on mine. I have both light and dark bass, smallmouth and one I had painted trout. I fish them slow with twitches and get plenty of fish on them, they are not all the different from the baby wake.